your thoughts on starting out

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Husky02, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Rigel

Rigel

It'll get even better when satellites are cheap enough (numerous enough)that we can abandon this geosynchronous b.s..

#31     Aug 21, 2002
  2. I understand where you are coming from with software, smart mathmeticians...etc. And coming from the least technical standpoint possible...I must say that I disagree to the extent that I believe successful trading to have a lot to do with your "feel" for the market.
    I anticipate and trade off of the waves in the futures and my "feel" for the stock I trade.
    Will a computer be able to do that for me one day?
    I ask in all seriousness, as I am totally clueless when it comes to these things.

#32     Aug 21, 2002
  3. trader99

trader99

Sure, I TOTALLY understand what you are saying. Even though I'm systematic, there are elements of my trading that can NOT be program into the system. Perhaps, never will be able to program into a system. It's weird, because sometimes I know where the market will go,etc.

It's a very subtle thing, but I think that's the key to my trading success in the end. But what I meant by software, technology, advanced pattern recognition is that these tools definitely give a trader an edge. Without an "edge", no matter what you "feel"/intuition, etc. isn't enough.

you FIRST need an edge. Then you work on your pyschological/intuition about the market which then you can transcend into market wizardom or whatever. hehe. But without a positive expected value edge,which can be discovered through systematically analyzing data,etc., then you have NOTHING.

You can sit there and bang on the keyboard for years and still be only slighter better than noise. But over that time you gain some intuition, which I think is a slow process.

trader99

#33     Aug 21, 2002
  4. The best times to not use your system is to look at a set of variables with your eyes and mind and say, "The signals say go into it, but I don't like this huge gap from the previous day -- I'm going to sit this one out."

I'd rather be out of a trade I wish I was in than be in a trade I wish I wasn't in.

aphie

#34     Aug 21, 2002
  5. Husky02

Husky02

nysetapereader

did this dude just post a classified ad for his firm then disappear without answering any questions...real shady

#35     Aug 22, 2002
  6. OHLC

OHLC

Very interesting opinion, thanx.

OHLC

#36     Aug 22, 2002