your thoughts on samsung 22" monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaj, Dec 3, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

First, let me say without the intention of offending anyone... SCALPING IS A STUPID ENDEAVOR!

Second, the actual published response of the Planar PL2010M is 8ms. Even if it WAS 25ms, would make ZERO difference to trading.

Samsungs are very good too. It's just that Planar has Samsung quality OR BETTER at a comparatively bargain price.

#11     Dec 3, 2007
  2. like the other poster said, going from 19" to 22" is not that big a jump. i'm assuming ur going from dual 19" to dual 22", however, if u are just adding a 22", u might not like the look of different monitors next to each other.

if your two 19" monitors are fine, u might just want to add another 19" and go with a triple monitor setup. this will get u more screen real estate and be cheaper too.

i just upgraded from dual 19" to triple 22" with inexpensive acer's from circuit city on black friday, simply because they no longer made my 19", so i would have had to get a different brand 19" and i didn't want mixed monitors on my desk. but i'm anal like that.

#12     Dec 3, 2007
  3. Westward

Westward

I'm looking at two of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824155053

it has a 5ms response time. I don't think a trade platform demands as much from a video card compared to today's games. I think a limitation is broadband. 25ms or 5ms on your monitor doesn't matter much if you're on a 4mb broadband connection vs. 10 or 12.

What do you guys think of the monitor I linked? I've got an Nvidia 8800 GTX video card with 2 ports.

#13     Dec 3, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

OK, here's a biomechanics tip for you (yes, that's one of my fields too)

If you were to RESPOND to an external stimulus like a price change, it would take on average, 75ms (assuming you were PREPARED FOR AND LOOKING FOR THE STIMULUS... like in an Old West gunfight.). If you were to VOLUNTARILY INITIATE a biochemical action (like clicking a mouse at YOUR DISCRETION/initiation), it would take on average, 30ms from the time you "decided to click" until you "actually executed the click" .

So, what difference does the response time of the LCD make? 25ms, 16ms, 2ms... it's all irrelevant.

In general, the "response time" of any LCD monitor relative to ANY aspect of trading is totally irrelevant.

#14     Dec 3, 2007
  5. gaj

gaj

thanks for the info on the planars, and other replies. just a couple other things:

yes, i have a dual monitor setup. i looked on planar's website; the largest is 20". i can't imagine that 19" -> 20" would be much of an increase; is that correct?

i hadn't heard of planar before; the reason i went with samsung is because the syncmaster was so universally lauded, and i haven't been disappointed. and i know there are dogs out there (viewsonic)...so thanks for that.

this thing with the VA and TN is throwing a minor wrench in things. any 21" that have VA, or have they really thrown them to the wayside for inferior products?

#15     Dec 3, 2007
  6. How about this "big boy" ?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...onitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-Hanns-G-_-24254026

HG281DPB Black 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Manufacturer's Info: The HannsG HG281DPB is a high-performance LCD display designed to satisfy the needs of high-performance business and workstation users. The ultra high 1920 x 1200 resolution and true 16.7-million vibrant colors on a 27.5-inch viewable screen size gives you a more enjoyable and relaxed visual experience. With the HDMI connection and an ultra-fast 3ms response time, the HG281DPB offers the highest 1080p digital image quality for HD movies and games at the most affordable price in its class.

Note the HDMI connection.....that's "key".

#16     Dec 3, 2007
  7. Retired

Retired

#17     Dec 3, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

19" to 20" (conventional parameters) is a change from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200, so it's a significant increase in ability to display.

Samsung makes a terrific 21" with VA panel, the 215T.

#18     Dec 4, 2007
  9. gaj

gaj

ok, thanks...looks live i've got to go to a best buy or circuit city to check out the differences between a 19, 20 and 21" monitor (for size, etc.) how it would be on my work area, etc. before i get either the planar or samsung elsewhere.

thanks again for all the info, esp. letting me know about the different types of flat screens....

#19     Dec 4, 2007
  10. gnome

gnome

They probably won't have many 4:3 20" (1600x1200)... the current fad is to "widescreen", 1680x1050... and that's because they are cheaper.

Last time I checked out monitors at Best Buy, all they had were the cheapo brands... Westinghouse, Gateway, eMachines.... all low-end and cheap stuff. One exception, however, might be the Samsung 204B... 20", UXGA, with TN panel, but given good marks in user reviews.

Circuit City has HP brand. Some are good with 3-year warranty. I'd avoid any LCD with only 1 year warranty.

If you have a MicroCenter near you, check them out. Otherwise to get a quality monitor other than widescreen, you might have to take the chance of relying upon user reviews and perhaps ET opinions.

#20     Dec 4, 2007