Your ratio of technical vs fundamental analysis for your trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Golden Retriever Trading, Dec 23, 2016.

What is your ratio of technical vs fundamental analysis for your trading

1. Purely or almost purely driven by technicals

62.9%
  2. Mainly driven by technicals

14.3%
  3. Between 30/70 to 70/30

8.6%
  4. Mainly driven by fundamentals

8.6%
  5. Purely or almost purely driven by fundamentals

5.7%
  1. CyJackX

CyJackX

I don't think this question makes sense; technical and fundamental factors both exist, and you should consider them both all the time. There's no way to quantify them.

#11     Dec 24, 2016
    victorycountry and water7 like this.
  2. For day trading and even swing trading fundamentals do not play a role....purely technical. Who cares what the company does or how earnings are going to be 3 quarters out. You are only going to be long or short the stock for the next hour or so. For long term investing fundamentals do/should come into play, but should be backed up by technicals.

Jeff - Author "Failed Traders: The 20 Common Mistakes Committed By Over 1000 Losing Traders"

#12     Dec 24, 2016
    victorycountry likes this.
  3. %%
    Right, actually all use some= no one trade$ a home exactly like oil or SPY.Wisdom is profitable to direct. One chicago trader did give a REALTOR a bag of cash = say ''market order''LOL-True

#13     Dec 24, 2016
  4. Handle123

Handle123

By the time I get the "funnymentals", it already factored into the price, I don't listen to clowns on CNBC, I don't read anything on weather, commodities or who is buying/selling what, except for system am testing, automation does not read either. I think fundamentals are like anything else and even charts, you can assign rules to them, just like charts give patterns and rules are made. I am not saying they are useless, but I understand myself well, I know my weaknesses which are many, and taking news and make enough sense to trade off it, I can't do it and too old to want to change how I trade. Jim Rogers keeps track of instruments or countries that have been at extremes for number of years, he checks to see if money flowing into them which means inventories are expanding and he jumps onboard. He is often very early but over course of few years, he is much more often right than wrong.

Earnings mean little for long term as well, people keep paying more, prices rise, and if they get greedy and buy even more, people last at the party are buying high and they get out with there is enough mental pain. Too many people look at earnings when they should be looking at debt and duration on that debt, how much in accounts receivable, if they not going to get paid on services/product, income loss.

#14     Dec 24, 2016
  5. drcha

drcha

For an ETF, it's mostly technical. For an individual stock that I am thinking of holding for the long term, it's mostly fundamental and driven by value, company debt, and industry (I don't usually invest in anything I consider a secularly declining or stagnant industry).

#15     Dec 24, 2016
    victorycountry likes this.
  6. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

It would have greatly helped if you had defined what you mean with technical and fundamental. Most on this forum are confused about either definitions. For example, do you include news driven events part of fundamental? Most professional traders would rely on news driven price action for their entries and exits in the short to medium term. Hardly any professional hedge fund or bank trader even stares at charts. Example, after the Trump win Icahn took a large position in equities when most market participants were very bearish and right after the prices in many US based equities started to be bought again. He took profit in many such names since then. He never looked at charts or technicals. I am sure he did not trade off indicators either.

#16     Dec 24, 2016
  7. eganon69

eganon69

Many ways to skin a cat,....

Icahn by the way is a longer term trader not the average guy here on ET.

But just to be fair,...some of us that believe in the voodoo of TA and those indicators you make fun of were ALREADY positioned in stocks that soared after the election and capitalized on that action too.

I still dont get why some people continue to bash TA. If YOU dont use TA and think its all a bunch of BS then WHY would you ever point out the stupidity of it?? Just use your "superior wisdom" and take my money on the trades.

Like they say in poker,...."dont tap the glass",....the "sharks" dont tap the fish tank and scare the fish away.

#17     Dec 24, 2016
  8. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

The holding period of Icahn was several days in many of those post Trump trades and that qualifies as short term. And why should we limit our definitions and examples to the average ET reader. Don't you want to learn from those above you rather than those who keep on making the same mistakes over and over again?

Let's not start another TA debate. If it rubs you the wrong way each and every single time someone makes a derogatory comment re TA then don't you think it is an issue YOU should deal with rather than getting agitated each time? Have you ever thought about why there is no thread where quants defend their profession and approach to markets? Some people seem extremely thin skinned and most times there is a reason for that, it's called insecurity and lack of success.

Just a thought or two. Cheers

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    #18     Dec 24, 2016
  9. ironchef

ironchef

I am the odd ball. I trade based on fundamentals. Technical indicators did not work for me: RSI, MACD, Bollinger band, stochastic oscillator, price action... I did great back testing but going live was not profitable, especially day trading.

Of course fundamentals are useless for day trade and short term (days) swing trades. Unlike professional traders, I only made a few hundreds trades a year.

#19     Dec 24, 2016
  10. eganon69

eganon69

I am always learning. Never stops.

As far as the "dealing with it" because I get agitated by someone who makes a derogatory comment about TA. I can control my emotions and I am dealing with it quite well by telling the guy that makes the derogatory comment that maybe he should consider there are other ways to do things. Maybe it is you that should learn a thing or two from others with differing opinions.

I am not making this a TA bashing thing. Just stop shooting canon balls over the bow and I will stop firing back.

CHEERS

#20     Dec 24, 2016