'Your [phone] Apps Are Watching You'

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Wallace, Dec 18, 2010.

1. another one, not added to the Google thread since this is specific to cell phones

"An examination of 101 popular smartphone "apps"—games and other software
    applications for iPhone and Android phones—showed that 56 transmitted the
    phone's unique device ID to other companies without users' awareness or consent.
    Forty-seven apps transmitted the phone's location in some way. Five sent age,
    gender and other personal details to outsiders."
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704694004576020083703574602.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

2. i wonder if these marketing techniques are in the fine print
    somewhere when you buy these aps.

If so, well.... its sneaky but not surprising.

3. The balance between info and privacy. Personally I tolerate Google spying on me, because the offerings are stellar, but Facebook, I don't get it really.

4. i have serious problem with the company selling my personal information like my name address and callin ID and list of phone numbers i've called to these marketers or hackers...computer hackers can hack into or buy your name based on your phone number and ip address.

or the internent company has a or store os all the websites i go to. it's really none of anyone s business.

do these creeps also send all the contacts on your contact list too.

also the credit card company has all the purchase records available to computer hackers and sells the information to marketing companies.

i'd use cash instead...and not using cell phones...landline phones are more private.

cell companies are not as regulated and less privacy rules as the old bell companies. the landline companeis dont' have list all the or record of all the calls you made.

the reason the cell companies have a record was before to check the rates or fraudulent calls as cell phone rates were very high in the begining .land lines aer flate rate so need to have record of calls. and therei s no record of calls that is st ored like cell phones.

it's kind of like creepy with so much of invading people's privacy by corporations and gov't when there is no reason other than profit motive to invade people's privacy..your private information is worth money. greed.

5. It's called stalking and it's perpetuated by the US Government so they can "protect you".

All this data ends up in fusion centers. The US Gov't is their main client although they'll sell you out to anyone for the right price.

You see the gov't is not allowed to spy on you (or get caught spying on you) so they turn a blind eye when someone else does it as long as they get the data from these companies under what they call the "third party doctrine".

We may as well pass an amendment to the constitution rescinding the entire constitution. It's not worth the paper it's written on.

6. I see you are also a fan of Jessie and Alex as well. Yes Amerika has become a Big Brother company, but I do believe most of this spying referred to is data mining for marketing purposes.

7. the1

the1

GW Bush once said, "it's just a goddamned piece of paper," which created a bit of outrage at the time but fast forward a few years and in the view of the government at large, The US Constitution really represents nothing more than a piece of paper. It has been shredded beyond belief over the past decade and it will soon hit the cross shredder. There won't be much left of it in the next decade or so.

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2005/12/09/bush-constitution-just-a-goddamned-piece-of-paper/

8. it's contract between the people and the gov't.

written with blood on it. blood of dead soldiers.
    and millions of soldiers died for it and willing to die for it.

so it is sacred paper.