Your favorite indicator

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by cashmoney69, Sep 3, 2006.

Whats your favorite indicator?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2006.
  1. MACD

11 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Moving Averages

24 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Volume

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. CCI/ RSI

24 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. Stochastics

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. other

37 vote(s)
    33.9%
  1. Thats about it...that says it for me.

#21     Sep 3, 2006
  2. Skilled traders can make excellent money in any symbol = market with zero indicators on a chart... just ability to measure pure price action alone. One symbol, one chart, nothing else is necessary for filtering direction and selecting precision entries.

Using a few indicator tools and/or different charts = markets make the overall trade process easier via visual clarity. Too many indicators OR the wrong ones on a chart are far worse than none at all :>)

#22     Sep 3, 2006
  3. Unless you're REALLY good at chart reading, I dont see how you can trade without at least one indicator. If you can, more power to ya :)

#23     Sep 3, 2006
  4. RSI (you pick the time) in conjunction with S/R or pivot. Or...in conjunction with an intraday channel between S/R or pivot.

#24     Sep 3, 2006
  5. I am oriented to making money and I'm very risk adverse.

Favorite is not a word to use describing the data sets needed keep trading on a high money velocity level.

for equities, I use "unusual" volume on Qcharts. The daily volume accumulation is a great guide for making money since the price begins to move well after volume has given its signal.

Unusual volume sorts the lists on Qchart and everyday the stocks that are going to move (and BO on the first day of the cycle) rise to the top of the list as soon as the day starts.

For indexes, I like the bouncing ball on the volume (its a PRV) and the stretch/squeeze of YM which is a leading indicator of ES which I trade.

The biggest money maker for both equities and indexes is FTT. The singular reason for this is the fact that channels overlap and exiting at the maximum profit and getting an early entry in the next trend happen at the same time. There is a well worn thread on trends where many many of the poorer traders continually fail to see the value of projecting trend channel lines for making high velocity income.

An FTT may only be seen in a projected channel of price. FTT's are exit points for taking profits, reversing as the right side of the market changes and the best entry point on the retrace that precedes the reversal that starts the first traverse of the next trend.

Common signals from those on the list the OP drew up all follow the FTT signal.

#25     Sep 3, 2006
  6. dan05

dan05

Hi William

I totaly agree with you on trading Black Boxes signals.

I've been following one Black box signal since early this year. It is based on chaos theory and system dynamics. The same technology that is some how explained in the film The Bank.

I know from the company that they will also restrict the number of users to avoid over usage of their signal.

It is both a market prediction chart, and a trading signal.
    What I find great of this indicator, is that you can trade the signals as provided and there is no guessing in knowing when to get in or out. It is pretty simple. You know several hours in advanced when you are going to get in/out/target and stop loss.

You can add other studies to their signal as they provide a charted prediction for the rest of the day, and updated every 15 minutes. I have found no other indicator that charts the market in advanced like these guys do.

Check this chart. I'm adding to the black box provided chart a Market Profile chart. I'm also testing with CCI, but so far, following the trades as they are given has proven to be very profitable.

The other good thing about this type of predictive indicator, is that if you follow TA indicators, you generally have subjective analysis to do. Having a Black Box, that works in many more dimensions that one could imagine, and that charts the market in advance helps a lot when TA is ambigous. Is like having playing chess with Big Blue on your side, and giving its opinion every 15 minutes.

I've been posting on my journal the results of trading with that approach.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70418&perpage=6&pagenumber=17

Take care.

#26     Sep 3, 2006
  7. What is OlegVS' WPR? I never heard of that one. I use multiple platforms and not one of them use it. And what does run your indicators through a net mean? Never heard of that one either. Been trading for 20 years and never heard of your indicator lingo. Where are you getting this stuff from?

#27     Sep 3, 2006
  8. MT4 indicators

#28     Sep 3, 2006
  9. You retrain these every 5-7 days? On the same instrument, data set and time frame?

Seems like you'd get Stop Polishing dialogs when Error less than:0.0??? This tells the net when to give up on a particular neuron. When the performance gains are less than 0.001%, for example, there is no need to continue searching for better solutions, as any gains will be practically insignificant.

Just curious because I train and tweek mine quite often too.

Custom scripts is a freakin' nightmare to initally set-up and deploy but worth the effort in the long run.

Garbage and generated outliers.:( .....alotta grey hair:cool:

#29     Sep 4, 2006
  10. LOL. Risk operates on a higher frequency than most of us mere mortals. Either that or he's one hell of a bullshitter. :D

#30     Sep 4, 2006