Your download/upload speedtest...I need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by forsalenyc, Oct 5, 2008.

1. My new quad core PC's been slow this weekend, so I ran couple of speedtests from www.speakeasy.net and www.speedtest.net. both show download speed of around 2000kbps.......it usually ran over 20000kbps prior to this weekend. It's not viruses cuz I just bought this computer last week......does anyone know a way to fix this problem? is this usually problem with ISP? thx

2. o i already tried unplugging the modem...didn't help

3. are you using comcast?i don't know where u live but i live in Chicago suburbs, for the past two weeks i was having same problems with download and upload speed, they where having problems with servers .

4. Tums

Tums

if you are using Vista...

disable ipv6

Vista has a new ip stack... it requires a "Vista Ready" router. If your router is a few years old, it can easily get overwhelmed.

5. I'm using XP pro........my upload speed is normal, but my download speed is 1/10th of normal.......should I call my ISP(cox)?

6. But are you using a Router?

Router's are "throw-away" items after awhile. It pays to buy a new one every now and then.

7. really? I've been using this router for about a year now.......is it time to get a new router? also, when I tried unplugging the modem, I didn't unplug the router. should I? thx

8. Its not your Router but to make sure plug the cable modem directly into your machine and then test the speed.

I think its network issues. Call your provider. I had the same issue last week. I noticed my download speeds from that same site you presented were around 1200 to 1500 kpbs. I also had normal upload speeds of about 1.2 mbs. Normally I get 14000 kpbs.

Time Warner had some network issues in my area they had been going on for about 3 days. Its fixed now and the download speeds have increased to 22 mbs.

9. Bootsie

Bootsie

Every couple of months I call my internet provider and ask if there are any upgrades to their routers... what's new etc. I usually bitch until I get them to send me a new one (at no charge). Unreal what you can get if you don't hang up...

:D