Your Broker Is Your Enemy?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by DRiSsT, Jul 8, 2008.

1. What do you trade with them, just futures or do you trade spot as well? Have they sorted out FX Trader yet?

#21     Jul 9, 2008
  2. cstfx

cstfx

Right now there are very few choices for retail traders:

if you are a rapid in/rapid out trader (common misused term is scalper) then you want to look at one of the ECN shops out there. An ECN doesn't take the other side - they only try to match it up either thru existing orders on their system or thru their interbank liquidity partners. They don't care about your trading because they have no vested interest - they make their money on the commission. The top 2 are IB (which allows you to trade spot vs futures) and HotSpotFXr, a division of Knight Trading. The hotspot platform is one of the top platforms of choice on many hedge fund and bank and brokers desks. A third choice is MB trading, but I have no direct recent experience to forward an opinion. There are enough people here and elsewhere to give you their assessment on this broker.

If you are more of a swing trader and trade smaller sizes, then the MM house may be your best bet. GFT and Oanda are the top 2. Yes there is an Oanda thread here that is not too complimentary but it may be that the style of trading leads to conflict with the broker's system. There are others here, and elsewhere, who can offer their opinion of these firms.

Firms to avoid: FXCM (unless you are just starting out and in the learning stage - they have a great visual platform and you can open account with as little as 500); Saxobank (also rebranded CitiFx), just about any metatrader platform broker (they are great for charting, but contrary to what anyone claims on their webpage, if they use metatrader then there IS a dealing desk behind the the platform - it is part of the software)

Also, check out the recent financials of the broker you wish to work with here:

http://www.cftc.gov/marketreports/financialdataforfcms/

You can get an idea of the financial health of the firm from these figures.

You say you are new to fx trading - I suggest you take your time to feel the market. It takes time to learn this market and it is best to use little or no money until you feel confident to risk a greater share of your assets.

Also, get good with TA. No other market is as affected by TA than fx, imo.

Regards.

#22     Jul 9, 2008
  3. cvds16

cvds16

I trade spot and SIF's

#23     Jul 9, 2008
  4. If you use the FX Trader 'bolt-on' does it all work ok now because when I used it a couple of years ago there were all sorts of problems (I actually had an order filled on Eur/Usd when I'd clicked Gbp/Usd, I'm serious!), and position and p/l tracking was a nightmare. I quite liked the platform so if it works ok now it might be worth another look.

Thanks

#24     Jul 9, 2008
  5. cvds16

cvds16

no, I don't use fx trader, just their normal platform.

#25     Jul 9, 2008
  6. ECNs *ARE* the real Forex marketplace, not the buket shops that use Metatrader.

I totally agree. Search for "metatrader fraud" on google ...

I think this is the BEST tip someone could give to you: DO NOT USE REAL MONEY !!!
    Spot is the best place to simulate: request a long term demo account, and trade as if you put real money on it. This is the only way to start and survive.

#26     Jul 9, 2008

7. really....there is no "real" market place for retail forex. just have to pick your poison...

#27     Jul 9, 2008
  8. Maybe the right marketplace to play in is the one where all these guys play:

Aareal Bank
    ABN AMRO
    AIG
    ANZ Banking Group
    Banca Nazionale di Lavoro
    Bank of America
    Bank of Ireland
    Bank of Montreal
    Bank of New York
    Bank of New Zealand
    Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi
    Bank One
    Banque Cantonale Vaudoise
    Banque Générale du Luxembourg
    Barclays Capital
    Bayerische Landesbank
    Bear Stearns
    BNP Paribas
    Brown Brothers Harriman
    Business Development Bank of Canada
    Calyon
    CDC IXIS
    CIBC World Markets
    Citibank
    Commerzbank
    Commonwealth Bank of Australia
    Credit Suisse First Boston
    Danske Bank
    Deutsche Bank
    Deutsche Postbank International
    Dexia Bank
    Dresdner Bank
    DZ Bank
    Fifth Third Bancorp
    Fimat
    Fortis Bank
    Goldman Sachs
    Handelsbanken
    HSBC
    HSBC Trinkaus & Burkhardt
    HSH Nordbank
    HypoVereinsbank
    ING
    ING BHF-Bank
    IntesaBCI
    JPMorgan Chase
    Jyske Bank
    KBC
    Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen
    LBBW
    Lehman Brothers
    Lloyds TSB
    Macquarie Bank
    Mellon Bank
    Merrill Lynch
    Metzler
    Mitsubishi Trust and Banking Corp
    Morgan Stanley
    National Australia Bank
    Nordea
    PNC Bank
    Rabobank
    Rand Merchant Bank
    Royal Bank of Canada
    Royal Bank of Scotland
    Scotia Capital
    SEB
    Société Générale
    Standard Bank of South Africa
    Standard Chartered Bank
    State Street
    Sumitomo Trust & Banking
    Swiss Union of Raiffeisen Banks
    Svenska Handelsbanken
    The Northern Trust Company
    The Travelex Group
    Toronto Dominion Bank
    Trust & Custody Services Bank
    UBS
    UFJ Bank
    Wachovia Securities
    Westfalenbank
    WestLB
    Westpac
    WGZ-Bank
    Zürcher Kantonalbank

Is it real enough or I'm missing someone ?

#28     Jul 9, 2008
  9. I thought the ECN v Marketmaker Bucketshop issue had been debated to death, obviously not!

Bucketshops have their place, ECN's are not automatically the best place for every trader, it depends on what you need.

There was a good thread about it here

Price manipulation aside, one of the plusses about companies like Oanda is you can place and manage trades over the weekend, you can't do that with an ECN! Another plus can be across volatile data like NFP, a bucketshop just fills your market order up to 10m no problem whereas you're quite likely to get partial fills at best on an ECN. Minimum account opening balance and trade size is smaller with a bucketshop, ideal for someone just starting out.......need I go on?

If the bucketshop you choose is reasonably honest then why bother with the 'real' market, personally I don't really care who's on the other side of my trade as long as they stay solvent! A lot of the ECN-style NDD hype is just a marketing exercise by companies looking for new ways to increase market share in a competitive business. A lot of these companies aren't truly brokers anyway, they're counterparty just like a bucketshop, with the same conflicts of interest and motives to trade against clients.

Why fix what ain't broke? If they fill your orders at the price you want and don't manipulate price too much or run your stops then what's the problem?

#29     Jul 9, 2008
  10. cstfx

cstfx

Using a demo is great to learn this market, but sooner or later you have to drop the trigger on a real trade that has YOUR money at stake. Trading demo and trading live can be 2 very different experiences as psychology can play a strong role in how it affects your trading decisions.

So demo for a while and then try your own money with an account that allows to to trade small sizes, i.e 10,000 bcu as opposed to the standard 100k. If you can succeed in this environment with real money on the line only then are you able to move to the next level.

There are SO MANY people who have traded this market and made mistakes and either learned from them or failed. I strongly suggest you seek out this information and try to take it to heart. It is all on the net. You just have to take the time to look for it and read it.

Learn from someone else's mistakes - don't repeat the same thing if you could have avoided it.

Good Luck.

#30     Jul 9, 2008