Young Men & The will to work

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Sikhinvestor, Feb 13, 2009.

1. You're one of the assholes I was talking about!:)

#31     Feb 13, 2009
  2. Banff01

Banff01

I don't think so. The problem today is that most men grow up raised by women with fathers absent. Your thinking clearly reflects that. Most teachers at school are also female. This makes you think that women are all powerfull and that men don't do anything anymore and are expandable.
    Look around you! Wherever you go most of what you will see is a product of men's work. Men are great at planning, building and producing. Women and men are both essential to this world.
    Great and very funny read on this topic is a book by Tim Allen: Don't stand too close to the naked man! Awesome book for guys who want to rediscover what the men's world is all about.

#32     Feb 13, 2009
  3. I actually just heard that the other day from a lady I work with. Good sense of humor that lady has!

#33     Feb 13, 2009
  4. Hi PaulRon

Can I ask you what your ethnic background is and how old you are?

Thanks

#34     Feb 13, 2009
  5. Euler

Euler

Apparently, then, trading, math, surgery, physics and software -- areas at which men are generally, but by no means exclusively, more successful -- are "brute-force activities"?

Men and women both have general-yet-non-exclusive relative strengths. And no, men's strengths aren't only in "brute force activities".

This type of thinking seems to me a sign of an overly feminized society; hopefully the pendulum will swing, but not too far, as I can't see a society either too feminized or "masculinized" as being successful in the long term (thinking of effeminate Rome being sacked by the Goths, or conversely the hyper-masculine Sparta being overshadowed by Athens).

#35     Feb 13, 2009
  6. Euler

Euler

Men are still getting great jobs in Canada, last time I checked :D; even if there is unfair "affirmative action" in some areas, just as in the US. Those other guys seem like they're really dropping the ball, and looking for an excuse for their own indolence and/or lack of initiative. Do many of them smoke a lot of pot? I think it can reduce motivation.

Good luck with your diploma -- if it takes you in a direction you want to go, I think you're very much on the right track. Don't let others get you down in this regard -- or even take it to the next level, and encourage them to dump their pessimism; you might do them a great service, even if they don't recognize it at the time.

#36     Feb 13, 2009
  7. Ribs

Ribs

OP friend of mine in vancouver had 15-20 interviews and no job

competition is fierce now

lot of people having trouble

when one guy competes with 100 other people it was fine

but now one guy competes with 200 god damn people

ALL QUALIFIED

#37     Feb 13, 2009