young earth creationists. how does your mind work?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 2007 Gallup poll[140]
    Political identification Do not believe in evolution Believe in evolution
    Republican 68% 30%
    Democrat 40% 57%

This here is perhaps the best proof of the relative education and intelligence of the members of the two parties. Nearly 70% of the republicans disbelieving evolution show a shocking level of ignorance and or delusion and as a nation we should be ashamed.

#11     Sep 27, 2012

2. Where did a young-earth worldview come from?

Simply put, it came from the Bible. Of course, the Bible doesn’t say explicitly anywhere, “the earth is 6,000 years old.” Good thing it doesn’t; otherwise it would be out of date the following year. But we wouldn’t expect an all-knowing God to make that kind of a mistake.

God gave us something better. In essence, He gave us a “birth certificate.” For example, using my personal birth certificate, I can calculate how old I am at any point. It is similar with the earth. Genesis 1 says that the earth was created on the first day of creation (Genesis 1:1–5). From there, we can begin calculations of the age of the earth.

Let’s do a rough calculation to show how this works. The age of the earth can be estimated by taking the first 5 days of creation (from earth’s creation to Adam), then following the genealogies from Adam to Abraham in Genesis 5 and 11, then adding in the time from Abraham to today.

Adam was created on Day 6, so there were 5 days before him. If we add up the dates from Adam to Abraham, we get about 2,000 years, using the Masoretic Hebrew text of Genesis 5 and 11.3 Whether Christian or secular, most scholars would agree that Abraham lived about 2,000 B.C. (4,000 years ago).

So a simple calculation is:

5 days
    + ~2000 years
    + ~4000 years

When we start our thinking with God’s Word, we see that the world is about 6,000 years old. When we rely on man’s fallible (and often demonstrably false) dating methods, we can get a confusing range of ages from a few thousand to billions of years, though the vast majority of methods do not give dates even close to billions.
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2007/05/30/how-old-is-earth

#12     Sep 27, 2012
  3. Are you serious? Or are you throwing eggs?

#13     Sep 27, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

...and 40% of your fellow democrats.

#14     Sep 27, 2012
  5. jem

jem

if you define evolution as stating there is proof life evolved from non life...
    those 70 percent are correct.

#15     Sep 27, 2012
  6. Of course life emerged from non life. Where else did it come from?

But anyway, Evolution is not defined as that.

#16     Sep 27, 2012
  7. Silly. Of course it was created, you know, brother adam and sister eve. Get with the program. Poof, one day man and woman appeared here on planet earth, in the garden of eden i believe. strange though, why did they have or need navels. Oh well, don't think about that.

#17     Sep 27, 2012
  8. There can be many explanations. First off...when the universe was created was physics the same as it is today? When the supposed big bang happened, how do you know light didnt travel faster than 186k miles per hour? Did physics exist before the big bang or did all the stuff that came from the big bang create the physics we see before us. How can physics exist if there is nothing in the universe?

If light had no maximum speed before physics existed, that could explain alot. We are still infants in the realm of physics and science. Something we learn tommorrow can change what we know today.

But like I said...You cant assume physics always existed the way it does today especially when nothing existed to give physics its properties.

#18     Sep 27, 2012
  9. Did you ever see Adam and Eve? Then how do you know if they had Navels?

#19     Sep 27, 2012
  10. Did you ever see Adam and Eve? How do you know they didn't? It doesn't matter. Anyway, I'm way too stoked right now to argue about that. I live in IL, and since it only takes a few hundred years to create mountain ranges, the Chicagoland area is about to be the next Vail of the midewest. Should be any day now. Because with geologic formations happening so qucickly and all, I gotta go wax my sticks!

#20     Sep 27, 2012