You would think jesus would pay his bills. but i guess not.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Free Thinker, Feb 3, 2011.

1. millions of people in new orleans are worried about the possibility of a hurricane so they pray to god. please god dont send a hurricane. why does an all powerfull god send a hurricane to hurt people?

Matthew 18:19 Jesus says:

Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

http://godisimaginary.com/i1.htm

#51     Feb 3, 2011
  2. We can then assume scientists and MDs are less likely to believe. I don't have statistics, but I'll bet conservative scientists and MDs still believe in God. [​IMG]

#52     Feb 3, 2011
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

As an atheist I have never contended that no god exists. That would call for omniscience I readily admit to not possessing. But if you point to a specific god like the god of Abraham and you tell me the bible is a factual accounting of his deeds and if I then can subsequently point to contradictions and other nonsense galore in your "inerrant holy book", then I am confident in stating that your god of Abraham is a pile of rubbish. And I can do that for virtually every other alleged specific deity I've heard of.

I'm not an atheist because I'm stubborn or evil, I'm an atheist because I've been given less reason to believe in a god than I have to believe in the tooth fairy. I can attest to actual exchanges of coinage for fallen teeth when I was asleep as a little kid. :D

#53     Feb 3, 2011
  4. depends what you call a scientist. many computer scientists still believe. biologists almost none believe anymore.

but its not surprising. religious people who have never cracked a biology book are positive evolution is false while scientists who spend their life working in the field have no doubt about evolution.

National Academy of Sciences from the biological and physical sciences (the latter including mathematicians, physicists and astronomers). The return rate was slightly over 50%.

The results were as follows (figures in %):

BELIEF IN PERSONAL GOD 1914 1933 1998

Personal belief 27.7 15 7.0
    Personal disbelief 52.7 68 72.2
    Doubt or agnosticism 20.9 17 20.8

BELIEF IN IMMORTALITY 1914 1933 1998

Personal belief 35.2 18 7.9
    Personal disbelief 25.4 53 76.7
    Doubt or agnosticism 43.7 29 23.3

#54     Feb 3, 2011
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

you're actually proving my point, you're just not quick enough to see it.

2000 years ago, people thought all sorts of things were god because they had no other explanation. they just didnt understand, or have the knowledge to comprehend the situation they witnessed. for example, before people understood that the earth was just a planet in space, i'm sure meteors made people believe in some magical or divine explanation. if you had told them - no, thats a rock from outer space entering the atmosphere, they would have laughed and said "no such thing". their frame of reference was insufficient to discredit your claim.

and now, still, your frame of reference is insufficient to discredit God until you understand everything. because "God" is, by definition, something beyond the ability for you to comprehend.

#55     Feb 3, 2011
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

i am not claiming any particular god exists. i am merely claiming that you cannot say that God does not exist.

i have my personal beliefs, but no where in this thread have i tried to convince any of you that my beliefs are correct. they are simply my beliefs and i may believe them in peace.

#56     Feb 3, 2011
  7. You can assume the higher IQ and higher level of education then the higher percentage of atheist.

#57     Feb 3, 2011
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

and i would conclude that the higher the IQ and level of education, the higher the arrogance to believe that they are the universe, and not God.

#58     Feb 3, 2011
  9. if you are saying that the bible is nothing more than a product of the ignorance of men i think we agree.

#59     Feb 3, 2011
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

i said no such thing. the only thing i continue to say is that you cannot prove that God does not exist, no matter how hard you try.

your attempt to redirect the point and ignore my consistent argument is admirable, though.

#60     Feb 3, 2011