You trade from home, do you have a biz card ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by guy990opl, Jan 20, 2008.

1. I like bugs reply. Depending on who/where/what you associate with, a biz card may be necessary. Perhaps your spouse is a member of a foundation and they are always asking her what you 'do'. A biz card solves that. Heading to a cocktail party? Doesn't hurt to have an official card.

Again, it's more of a social thing than anything - for me at least.

And who knows where that card could end up. While you may not be interested in institutional money, if a few million comes knocking, you just might want to listen. I'm amazed at where my cards end up sometimes.

#11     Jan 20, 2008
  2. dabao91

dabao91

How about "liquidity provider"?

#12     Jan 20, 2008
  3. If you have no intention of drawing investors, clients or business associates, then I fail to see the need for a business card, and I think it would be superfluous and somewhat pretentious to have one. On the other hand, if you wish to have a personal card solely for the convenient purpose of providing your name and contact information, then what would be the point of stating your occupation on it? Your occupation would have nothing to do with why you are giving someone the card. You might as well add your favorite color and zodiac sign as well, since they would be no less relevant.

#13     Jan 20, 2008
  4. In the old days people would hand their card to the butler upon calling on someone and they would be announced.

It is good to have a calling card with just one's name and phone number on it for social occasions. Sometimes one meets interesting or important people and there is no time or proper moment to scribble one's number.

Over the years when I told a newly met person that I was an independent trader they were almost invariably intrigued or impressed.
    In today's world the people who are their own master are looked up to. Of course it helps if one radiates quiet pride and confidence.

GC

#14     Jan 20, 2008

5. I agree, why would you need a business card? I have been dealing with this for years and it boils down to jealous people. They work break their ass and struggle. Just live well dress well. Equity Trader if you don't like the term daytader, ask them are you jealous when they make a comment. Also ask them why are you counting my money. The world is full of people like that(jealous/miserable JO). You need to establish a relationship with people and if they don't work in the industry it is all fantasy to them what is real to us. Don't make the mistake and speak to them about it.

#15     Jan 20, 2008
  6. leximon

leximon

You could say that you're in the business of reducing people's taxes. It's true if you think about it. In order for you to win, someone else has to lose, and thus they pay less in taxes.

#16     Jan 20, 2008
  7. I Execute Orders.

#17     Jan 20, 2008
  8. I agree with Thunderdog.

Just a card with your name and minimal contact info.

That is what I have.

And yes, my card does read "Mad Alfred" ...

#18     Jan 20, 2008
  9. Do MICK JAGGER and DAVID BOWIE have a business card? Someone asked Jagger for a business card, he said I am a singer in a rock n roll band.

#19     Jan 20, 2008

10. maybe not, but paul tudor jones, donald trump and steve cohen do.

business card is a must.

surf

#20     Jan 20, 2008