you ride on the highway, which lane?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by gaidaros, Mar 13, 2007.

1. #21     Mar 13, 2007
  2. LOL, you'd only be able to do that at 3AM here.

#22     Mar 13, 2007
  3. maxpi

maxpi

You've mirrored my experience over years of commuting, I found that trading can be very similar, you have to know your route well then it's all sooooo easy. Reacting to other traders, unless they are the big rigs of the market, is not good, best you just know your route and get behind the big rigs if they are making the best time and jam past them when they aren't.

#23     Mar 13, 2007
  4. I live in the desert. We only have one lane. :(

But I always get in the wrong lane at Albertson's! Does that count? :D

#24     Mar 13, 2007
  5. Hmmm. That brings up a whole 'nother analogy. It seems like I'm always in the wrong check-out lane at Target.

I came up with what I call the "short line theory". The short line looks tempting because common wisdom says there are less people to check out so you'll get checked out sooner. Wrong! The short line is shorter because people have repeatedly bailed out because someone is 1) paying with a personal check 2) trying to do a return/exchange 3) arguing about the correct price on an item.

Go to one of the long lines. Those are the lines where things are moving smoothly. Go figure.

#25     Mar 13, 2007
  6. I'm with you except for one thing...

If I change lanes to ANY line, then progress wil slow down dramatically and become "the short line", to suck in more victims. :p

#26     Mar 13, 2007
  7. Right. In exasperation you finally bail out of the short line where the problem is. Then no sooner do you change lines but an old lady in front of you in the new line pulls out her check book. And the slow, short line suddenly breaks loose.

God I hate shopping in stores. I'd much rather shop online.

#27     Mar 13, 2007