You must be your own Guru

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Buy1Sell2, Apr 5, 2006.

Are you your own Guru?

1. Yes, I am very self reliant with original thought

120 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. No, I follow a Guru's advice

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i thought i could trade until i met a guy who could really trade. to this day i consider myself second best to my guru.

i actually trade much better than my guru but i would have NEVER been able to "get it" without help.

in fact i admit now i cant trade at all, i depend on mechanical systems that auto trade. i consider myself a researcher now.

can you make it on your own? i say no.

ps dont get me wrong - ok - i am saying you need someone to help you THINK about developing your own style. someone to bounce ideas off and get them shot down. someone to ground you, not make your decisions for you. unless that is your style, many people do well being hands off.

#21     Mar 13, 2007
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Exactly. Beware the traveling salesman.

#22     Jul 15, 2008
  3. This whole thread is bullcrap. There is no such a thing as a trading guru as much as there is no thing as a "love guru"
    (Mariska Hargitay to you all...)
    The proper word would be a trading mentor. I mean trading and
    love chemistry cannot be taught one can try to help but usually either you get it or you don't.....
    On the other hand a trading mentor is a real thing it can be an older person with experience to show some of the younder turks the ropes and the pitfalls.
    The last mentor was Richard Dennis and he was very good and profitable training a method that worked for a period of the time. His "disciples" were the turtles.

#23     Jul 15, 2008
  4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Some of the better advice here.

#24     Jul 15, 2008
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Semantics and hair splitting. Please move on. :)

#25     Jul 16, 2008
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Thank you for moving on. :)

#26     Jul 18, 2008
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Gurus only really exist to serve themselves.

#27     Aug 14, 2011
  8. PO

PO

so you don't believe people can share their trading strategy and hep you without expecting anything in return?

#28     Sep 2, 2011
  9. 'It may sometimes happen that a truth, an insight, which you have slowly and laboriously puzzled out by thinking for yourself could easily have been found already written in a book; but it is a hundred times more valuable if you have arrived at it by thinking for yourself. For only then will it enter your thought-system as an integral part and living member, be perfectly and firmly consistent with it and in accord with all its other consequences and conclusions, bear the hue, colour and stamp of your whole manner of thinking, and have arrived at just the moment it was needed; thus it will stay firmly and for ever lodged on your mind.'

Arthur Schopenhauer, 'On Thinking For Yourself'

#29     Sep 2, 2011
  10. 15rms

15rms

Interesting topic. I suspect if you replace the word Guru with Trading Methodology it could be more helpful.

It is my observation most if not all of the trading industry is there to take your money not make you money. The methods that are marketed are just reworked ideas that are not new or profitable.

Think outside of the box. Trade using setups that have not been discovered or marketed. Find a new system and keep tight lipped. Quietly go into your office and trade your account into a success.

It is the quiet trader that is never heard of that is the success. The traders and their products that are being sold publicly are not the source of your affluence.

#30     Sep 2, 2011