You must be your own Guru

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Buy1Sell2, Apr 5, 2006.

Are you your own Guru?

1. Yes, I am very self reliant with original thought

120 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. No, I follow a Guru's advice

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

Deep rooted insecurities could work in a variety of ways. There are pro's and cons. The reasons for using a guru or not is too complex as matter for discussion. What can be discussed is when a guru is not there anymore.

#11     Apr 6, 2006
  2. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Are you asking "How can I go on without the continued guidance of my guru?"

#12     Apr 9, 2006
  3. If you had some profitable directions you would not need a guru. You could find some arbitrage niche or market abnormality to exploit. Gurus are only relevant for discretionary traders?

#13     Apr 9, 2006
  4. smallfil

smallfil

There is no such thing as one size fits all. A guru can be helpful pointing you to the right direction however, you still have to make your own calls and succeed or fail depending on what you do!!! A seminar I attended, the speaker said, "You have to develop your own style of trading." We all like different things and have different biases and you can train say, 10 traders the same thing and each one could come up with a different way of trading the same markets!!! I am still learning but, do know that I will not use everything I learn because I have a conscious bias against say, an indicator which I do not like versus another that I like because it works for me!!! Another trader on a DVD (sorry I cannot recall who said it) said, that the reason the indicators work and don't work is because you have to know when to use an indicator so, in essence, he is saying that indicators have to fit the situation at hand to be useful!!!

#14     Apr 12, 2006
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  5. I guess we learn from anybody, including gurus, but we have to be responsible for our own successes.

#15     Apr 29, 2006
  6. I trade. I am profitable. Why change anything? I have my plan and I trade it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over
    and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

etc

Then when my DEFINED shift is over, I make breakfast for Electric.

Wifey

#16     Apr 29, 2006
  7. Cheese

Cheese

Makers of big money are not interested in the whole fag or the relatively small beans of selling yourself as a self styled trading guru. Hell, why would any big time money maker want to bury himself in such horsesh*t?

Sure, get what you want from whatever resources there are but the focus is the market. Study. Be your own best adviser. Know your market. And put together your map for winning.
    :)

#17     Jun 1, 2006
  8. "Gurus" in America do not come free. Why would anyone want to be a "guru"?
    It is far easier to make money selling and promoting STUFF especially when you have some notoriety. It is also self-evident that the 'multiple sources of income' paradigm - especially in trading when huge drawdowns are possible are not that stupid idea as some 'self-styled daytrading geniuses' on ET would like to portray. But hey what do I know. Most big traders are not daytraders so there is a drawdown. if you are a 'fast typing shootist' like many on ET then you have solved the eternal quest of man - alchemy and my hat is off to you. ;)
    Most wanna be traders are in need of some guidance and help and trading is a lonely business. So the suckers (guru groupies) are self-generating at every year's University graduation time.
    Just my 2 cents.

#18     Jun 2, 2006
  9. Putting together a workable trading strategy is already very difficult. Why raise the difficulty at least tenfold by looking for a non-existing guru?

#19     Jun 2, 2006
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Gurus only really exist to serve themselves.

#20     Mar 13, 2007