You Make $1 Billion. You Flee to Florida. Then the Tax Man Knocks.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Jun 14, 2018.

1. themickey

themickey

Legend???
    Lunchbox Legend?

#31     Jun 15, 2018
  2. Sig

Sig

And of all of those, only the 9% and 3.8% can be changed by moving to FL from NYC. If you're making several million dollars and "flee" to FL from NYC to avoid the 12.8% (which you don't really entirely avoid since FL doesn't operate it's government for $0) when you'd otherwise prefer to live in NYC you've lost perspective, that's all.

So far I've seen a whole lot of quibbling about percent rates and a bunch of other tangential crap, all of which miss the entire fricking point! If you think that the point of becoming wealthy is that you have to "flee" somewhere you'd prefer to live in order to protect that wealth from taxes so you have more money in your bank account when you die....well I feel sorry for you, bottom line.

#32     Jun 15, 2018
  3. zdreg

zdreg

urban legend then he was eventally kicked off ET.

#33     Jun 15, 2018
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  4. volpri

volpri

LOL is he buffeting the rest?

#34     Jun 15, 2018
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I think virtually all rich people will pick where they want to live first. Within the places they want to live, taxes can be a factor. And forget about billionaires who have more money than god. For me, state and local taxes in my current state would be my mortgage in a non-income tax state like Florida. It’s not an insignificant issue.

No rich person is moving to a state just to avoid taxes. They move because they also like it. Tennessee has no state income tax and also has cheap property values. Whose moving there (unless they like the Nashville country music scene)?

#35     Jun 16, 2018
    ironchef and DaveV like this.
  6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

You mean the loophole of not selling his stock holdings?

#36     Jun 16, 2018
    srinir likes this.
  7. srinir

srinir

Ignorance is a bliss

#37     Jun 16, 2018
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Especially when you can use that ignorance to push some alt-right anti-media narrative.

#38     Jun 16, 2018
    srinir likes this.
  9. ironchef

ironchef

It is un-American to pay more tax than is required by law.:finger: That applies to both liberals and conservatives.

He is giving almost all of his $72 billions to charity, to legally avoid tax if you are a cynical conservative, to benefit humankind if you are a liberal.:D

#39     Jun 16, 2018
  10. smallfil

smallfil

I am cynical alright as far as these blowhards go, because a lot of it is put out by the biased liberal media. What you are saying about that $72 billion to charity is just a pledge. A pledge is just a promise! It has not really been given away. So, he controls his monies, probably, gets a tax benefit out of it without actually, not having given out anything! The difference with liberals is they have all these good plans to benefit mankind and are fine with it as long as someone else pays for it! From the blowhard Buffett, if he really wanted to pay more taxes, why not just cut a check to the Bureau of the Treasury? He was assessed by the IRS $100 million which they say he owes and he is still fighting it? Average joes if they were in Warren Buffett's shoes would already have liens on their properties and the IRS would have already garnish your wages! Of course, being politically connected and being filthy rich, he gets preferential treatment!

#40     Jun 16, 2018