You Lie!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mercor, Sep 10, 2009.

1. YOU LIE comes at about 1:26 in this short segment of the speech. The Pelosi death stare after is priceless.
    The incident will cost Repubs some ground, but I doubt the Dems will get the bill they really want.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxHKSHvMRWE

#11     Sep 10, 2009
  2. Arnie

Arnie

Bush was booed and hissed during at least one State of Union speech by the Democrats. You can look it up.

PS: I agree it is totally inappropriate. I hope the Republicans don't wait to reprimand this guy.

#12     Sep 10, 2009
  3. Harry Reid called Bush a "loser" and a "liar" in public, the loser comment being made at a speech to high school seniors.

All is fair in love and war.

The dems are just too shocked to hear their warfare tactics being used against them. Babies.

Joe Wilson, stand proud!

#13     Sep 10, 2009
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Now don't start that line. If this practice is in fact common, then you can be sure it goes way back and you will not be able to say who "did it first".

#14     Sep 10, 2009
  5. Looky here, Biden just cleared the air:

Biden Bumbles Into The Truth: Speaks Of 'Illegal Aliens'
    By Mark Finkelstein (Bio | Archive)
    September 10, 2009 - 07:47 ET
    At least he didn't call them "clean and articulate" . . .

Joe Biden has given the latest, best example of the adage that "a gaffe is when a politician tells the truth."

Appearing on Good Morning America today to talk up Pres. Obama's health care speech to Congress, the veep praised his boss for debunking various supposedly false assertions, including "how we're going to insure illegal aliens." Biden was just about to move on when, realizing his crime against political correctness, he revised his remark: "undocumented aliens," quoth the VP.

Later in his interview with Diane Sawyer, discussing Rep. Joe Wilson's "you lie!", Biden returned to the theme. You could hear him pausing to make sure he didn't repeat his bout of unintentional honesty, carefully, this time, speaking of "undocumented aliens."

Will the MSM pick up on this latest example of why the White House must surely hold its breath every time it sends Joe out to carry the torch?

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=Gd8z6U8zIr" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=Gd8z6U8zIr" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

#15     Sep 10, 2009
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Is there a link to this "article"? It appears to be some guy's blog.

Premise: "a gaffe is when a politician tells the truth"
    Premise: Joe Biden made a gaffe by using the word "illegal" and then editing it to "undocumented".
    Conclusion: The word "illegal" is true (used truely).

You're really on to something here, something the dictionary definitions of "legal" and "illegal" wouldn't have shown us.

Also, is the first premise always true?

#16     Sep 10, 2009
  7. Sure there are boos and hisses. Even before he shouts, you can hear the grumbling sounds from the Republican side of the aisle. That stuff happens all the time.

But a shout-out is not the same. I don't recall it happening before like that. It is not the place for it. That's what the reporters asking opinions later are for.

#17     Sep 10, 2009
  8. I think this incident needs to be put into perspective. Obama had just said that not just commentators but republican opponents were "lying" about the plan. Then he proceeded to disingenuously claim that there would be no "death panels", then said that the plan would not cover illegal immigrants, which is clearly wrong. Amid some general grumbling, the "you lie" comment is made but is hard to distinguish over the din.

I think way too much is being made of this, but the unintended consequence will be to turn this Wilson into a hero of conservatives. He took his cue from the town hall anger no doubt and finally showed us a male republican with some backbone.

Unfortunately, he immediately forfeited it by apologizing profusely and even trying to call obama to apologize. Of course, other republicans raced to the nearest mikes to denounce him, led by John McCain.

What would have been the reaction if Wilson had said, "Obama called me and my colleagues liars and if anyone needs to apologize, it's him."

#18     Sep 10, 2009
  9. So let the other side (situation could be reversed with a Republican Pres) shout at the president during his speech when they feel they've been offended? That doesn't make any sense unless they cancel Jerry Springer.

#19     Sep 10, 2009
  10. It's not ideal, I agree. In this case though, the President himself had made a direct personal attack on republicans, specificly calling them liars. Then he proceeded to make disingenuous claims himself. He was not presidential, he was not truthful and he was not respectful of his opponents, who after all, were elected just as he was.

Let's remember also that this was not a State of the Union address. It was a political event, staged by democrats, and republicans were there as stage props.

We are also seeing the fallout from Obama's overexposure. Any President has the potential ability to get the country behind his plan. This guy is out there every day however blathering about one thing or the other. People are beginning to tune him out. The big news this week wasn't even last night's address. It was his idiotic speech to the nation's school children. That created a controversy that went on for several days, needlessly drawing attention away from what should have been Obama's big moment.

#20     Sep 10, 2009