You know what gives you viruses???

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by PohPoh, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Maybe a New Zealand Hooker could?

[​IMG]

#11     Sep 28, 2006
  2. I second this. AVG free works well.. Have been using it for years, never caused me any viruses.. Also it uses low resources so thats not something to worry about.

On a side note I use Ad-Aware SE Personal (it’s free) along side AVG free… The two combined are hard to beat. A good place for info,

http://www.computerforum.com/

Go down to ‘Computer Security’ ask some questions… those guys no their stuff.

#12     Sep 28, 2006
  3. LT701

LT701

use this occasionaly, cant say it's guaranteed, but i've had the same exprerience with norton, might as well have a virus as norton

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

if you have a security program like Interactivebrokers has, not even a keylogger can get you, between scans

#13     Sep 28, 2006
  4. I just downloaded AVG and it found 4 viruses in Java (Java/ByteVerify, Java/OpenStream) -- anyone else seen these? I read that AVG cannot remove these but have to be cleared through the Java control panel.

#14     Sep 28, 2006
  5. + 1 for AVG

#15     Sep 28, 2006
  6. yes I got those b4, I think that I had to remove Java from control panel.. then go to java site to reinstall...

#16     Sep 28, 2006
  7. hcour

hcour Guest

For spyware, get Hitman Pro. It automatically runs all the best programs w/the click of one button, including AdAware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and a few others. If you have any of the programs in HP then you should uninstall them first, then install HP.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/1278-hitman-pro.html

H

#17     Sep 28, 2006
  8. m4a1

m4a1

how about a completely free firewall? not zonealarm, works good with everything, and no trial period.

#18     Sep 29, 2006
  9. Seriously-yes, its been said before, but anyone running mac have these problems?
    Just wondering.

Given the number of viruses that are largely benign, it shouldnt' be too surprising things run fine, to a large extent without anti-virus/spyware blockers etc.

Knew a guy, who rebooted the works every other week, , roughly, spyware? What spyware?
    Viruses, what are they? a guy who could identify ANY virus, in code, in the dos, AND trackback with naasty shit to the originator, plus some, on a whim?

I think we all aspire, to fight back, but some folks have it, and some dont.

Im in the "dont have a clue" camp, but if antivirus software equals=viruses, because it picks them up, then i obviously dont get computers, but im darn sure the guy i mentioned did.

And if you thought that was confusing, well, thats me talking about computers and stuff:confused:

#19     Sep 29, 2006
  10. If only a fraction of this stuff is true, I would definitely not use Hitman Pro. Even if one chose to, that'd be not nearly enough.

Instead of a shotgun, reactive, partial approach, a better way to defend oneself, once and for all, would be a logical, systematic sequence of effective countermeasures, both one-time and preventive, such as the one detailed here:

Malware Removal (do this once)

Keeping Yourself Protected (this is step 10 of the above link)

This is the best, most practical advice I've ever come across. Destroy the enemies and give'em no future chance in hell.

#20     Sep 29, 2006