You guys who do VOLUME, why so much?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by yeayo, May 21, 2005.

1. and how much would that be ??

#51     May 24, 2005
  2. yeayo

yeayo

It doesn’t matter. It’s all relative. Traders like to talk about money but not profitability, they like to talk rewards but not risks. The point is the better trader is the guy with the bigger and more consistent edge and not the guy who makes more money by exploiting a razor thin edge by doing crazy volume.
    When I started trading I was ‘trained’ by a guy that made over a million dollars in the market and he was doing big volume everyday. So I thought, wow this guy must be a really good trader. The first day I sat with him he made over 400 dollars within 5 minutes of the open. I soon found out that he sucks. Totally inconsistent, down YTD, but he has a razor thin edge that (when it works) he exploits by doing crazy volume. I doubt he’s going to survive in this game in the long-run.

#52     May 24, 2005
  3. yeayo

yeayo

For new traders I think the important thing is to build a big and consistent edge. Because once you have that then you can gradually size up and make more money. But if you have a razor thin edge that you exploit by doing big volume you hurt your long-term profitability and you’re not going to survive when your thin edge goes away.

#53     May 24, 2005
  4. Htrader

Htrader Guest

Converse of that is, in an ever-changing market, you need to exploit an edge for all its worth before it disappears. So you press volume to the max.

Thats what I do, and have been doing it for the past 5 years.

I'm not sure why you are so critical of people doing large volume. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Your volume, high or low, has nothing to do with your trading ability. Your p/l line says it all. Nothing else matters.

#54     May 24, 2005
  5. Everest

Everest

yea sherlock, you know all about it.

My commissions and exchange fees run to about $ 4000 a day.

now let's think, why would I do that?

Arsehole.

#55     May 24, 2005
  6. Everest

Everest

Sonny, if that floats your boat I suggest you never leave the puddle you're in.

#56     May 24, 2005
  7. yeayo

yeayo

well there goes your credibility :p

#57     May 24, 2005
  8. It is all relative.

#58     May 24, 2005
  9. Strangely enough, I fail to see the point of this discussion. If you trade small and make money, then trade small. If you trade a lot and make money, then trade a lot. This discussion is just like one where one person is trying to convince another of what the current trend is. It is all relative.

The bottom line: There are times when it makes no sense to trade small and then there are times when trading small is the best way to go. It is a personal choice in conjunction with the price action in the market. One's risk tolerance, liquidity and magnitude of price momentum will dictate what size one should trade.

#59     May 24, 2005
  10. Bullet

Bullet

FuturesTrader71

I agree....why is everyone in such a pissing contest about this?!?!

Good luck....

#60     May 24, 2005