You guys who do VOLUME, why so much?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by yeayo, May 21, 2005.

1. But even if he just stepped up to 200 share lots, because liquidity is hardly ever an issue with just an extra 100 shares, he should be able to pull in 400k. Hypothetically speaking of course, but it does make you think.

#21     May 21, 2005
  2. I have been fortunate enough to see some of these nimble minded scalpers in action.

If the guy is a true scalper he is making the range plus..... in the same instrument maybe two or three....these instruments he knows very well.

If this same guy were to trade in a different time perspective with double, he may not be comfortable. I believe when you find your good fitting shoe...it is your grail...don't mess with it..

imho...

Michael B.

#22     May 21, 2005
  3. I agree with finding your comfort zone, and exploiting what you know. But at a certain point, one has to wonder just how far one is capable of going within their system? Why not try and step up your game and if it doesnt work, then scale back. Seems to me this guy is too comfortable and does not want to take any added risk. If i were able to pull in that kind of money trading 100 share lots, I would most certainly study my system to see where I could have added to my position and, in effect, padded my bottom line. Especially because we are talking about 100 share lots. An extra 100 shares shouldnt make that much of a difference. An extra 1000, well, thats a different story.

#23     May 21, 2005
  4. You can get fatter by eating many small snacks a day....

I do not think it is as easy as doubling size to get double the profits.

A scalper makes money in the trend and on the little retraces...smaller trades have smaller losses. Also perspective and the length of time in those longs or shorts should not be altered, if it works...

Michael B.

#24     May 21, 2005
  5. I fully agree with Steve Tvardek..this 100 share lot trader is really a waste of talent in my opinion. However, I do agree with with argument of the comfort zone, but this has to be in relation to what you want to do with your career as a trader. Now, if I was happy making $100-200k per year and I thought I could do that for the rest of my career then fine, stay that way, but it reallty is a waste of talent not trying to make more money with a systemm that efficient - even if it is only by adding 100 shares more every trade...... 200 share lots is not gonna kill you. Personally though, I want to make more than $100-200k a year, that's simply peanuts in relation to what is out there to be made. You are effectively taking the same trades but instead of letting someone else grab the shares why not you? Basically that's like saying you buy a winning lottery ticket everyday and everyday you have a $500 winning ticket, but instead of taking all $500 you give the guy at the register $400 of it and say that you're happy with only your $100. Let me ask you this simple question.: WHY? What is the reasoning behind that? It's definitly not cause he's comfortable taking only 1/5 of what is offereed to him by the winning ticket. Maybe he's just a nice guy :eek: .... but no one got into the business of trading to watch money go right by them. And especially when the guy is so efficient. Honestly, if this guy is for real then that guy has the ability to make millions of dollars and is just placing a ceiling on himself. I'd rather struggle in the beginning and really learn what I am doing and then kill it with size. It takes a totally different mentaility to start sizing up and playing on a bigger ball field. That's where the money is....you don't find million dollar players playing little league.

#25     May 21, 2005
  6. you see...

thats why I am not a scalper...lol

I prefer the slow and steady....am I gambling? no...am I putting a ceiling on myself...no, what talent?...lol

Not everybody can discretionarily trade and/or scalp..

I admit it..I can't. So why the heck am I posting....bored.

Michael B.

#26     May 21, 2005
  7. ...and another thing, you can always vary up your game. If you are so confident in a trade to catch a point or 2 points then why not size up a bit? If you are not comfortable doing 1k lots yet don't force it, just take 300 or 500 and work with that. But basically the reasoning behind sizing up is making more money, but it also is to back up your confidence in your trading plan. As one of the old guys on the floor in Reminiscences iof a Stock Operator said "you'll never know till you put money on it." Basically, size just backs up your conviction on a trade.

#27     May 21, 2005
  8. onions

onions

I swear.. these threads just keep getting dumber and dumber... I am embarrassed to say i work along side these people. Sometimes I start reading a thread and can't wait for the next response to see how stupid it can get. The greatest part about it all is that this thread is actually one of the more intelligent conversations and believe me that aint saying much...

#28     May 21, 2005
  9. ok, so he is scanning hundreds and hundreds of instruments...so there!

#29     May 21, 2005
  10. What is dumb about this conversation? I would like to hear why you feel this way.

#30     May 21, 2005