You gotta read this...electric adds cable broadband in Comp USA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Not sure what distinction you are trying to make but if you are comparing DSL to an internet T1 (as opposed to a T1 for non-internet use, e.g. direct to a brokerage) then I don't see a big difference. Different terminating equipment on each end and different signaling but the net result is pretty much the same, IP over copper (and you can get T1 speeds using symmetrical DSL 1.5/1.5Mbps).

Yes a DSL ISP can over-subscribe their backhaul connections from the CO to their core network but that would affect a T1 internet user attached to the CO just as much as the DSL users. DSLAM's get reset or reconfigured but so do CSU/DSU's. Sounds like you are comparing a business class T1 to a residential DSL connection; there is business-class DSL too.

#31     Apr 14, 2006
  2. That sums it all up! Whatever works in your area for your needs.... DSL/cable/internetT1

Osorico

#32     Apr 14, 2006
  3. Forget those, I'm pure fiber from my home to the CO. 15 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up (soon to be faster at no additional charge I hear).... nannie nannie boo boo!

#33     Apr 14, 2006
  4. :)

#34     Apr 14, 2006
  5. nitro

nitro

No,

ISPs throw their T1 customers into a different ethernet cloud at the CO. If not, you are being jipped.

nitro

#35     Apr 14, 2006
  6. JackR

JackR

I think that one should also consider the DSL supplier where speed is concerned. The Baby Bells have truly gotten into the digital data business in the past few years. If they carryover their voice practices to the consumer digital area they will monitor trunk capacity versus usage and increase size as required to maintain whatever level of service they have internally decided upon. This is cheap (comparatively) as they just have to upgrade the central office equipment and interoffice trunks to the backbone ATN network. The copper line to the subscriber, the most expensive capital cost and schedule cost, remains unchanged insofar as keeping whatever level of service was initially established.

The cable companies must upgrade their field (neighborhood) equipment and their feedlines to the neighborhoods as their design is basically a local LAN in each neighborhood and as usage goes up they must upgrade a lot more equipment in the field. Much more capital intensive and implementation time driven.

I define capital as equipment + installation (labor) costs.

Jack

#36     Apr 14, 2006
  7. That is a sweet speed. I can only wish. :)

I looked at homes in RidgeGate, (in Lonetree) and they have this too. All the Toll Brothers homes there have fiber right into the house. I think Ultimate Electronics does the house wiring after that point.

I believe Broomfield has some too.

#37     Apr 14, 2006
  8. jumper

jumper

I've had cable for many years and barely had any hiccups. Although, I don't have Comcast. I swear by mine. My back up DSL has been less reliable. Even with degradation (cable), it seems much faster than my DSL. The bottom line is if you say to be careful with cable, I can make the same argument with DSL.

#38     Apr 14, 2006