You gotta read this...electric adds cable broadband in Comp USA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElectricSavant, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Good to know. Thanks.

#21     Apr 14, 2006
  2. Deluxe...deshmucks...I don't know if that is what it is called...

I have the super-dooper fast one though :)

I miss the 70's sometimes...

ElectricSavant

#22     Apr 14, 2006
  3. If you folks want fast email that is seamless through outlook express or whatever you use...try ipower if you have a website...

http://www.ipower.com/

#23     Apr 14, 2006
  4. When I retire and get my Trading Room...we will have all of the above with T1 naturally...

the trouble is I have no traders....and I cannot find them in ET, as I do not believe anybody actually trades here :)

have a nice weekend posers...

#24     Apr 14, 2006
  5. nitro,

DSL is NOT point-to-point like T1. The difference connection-wise, between cable and DSL is...

DSL connects to a DSLAM which is Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer at a central location that links DSL connections to ANOTHER high-speed connection. The connection speed to the DSLAM is usually stable. After connecting to the DSLAM anything can happen.

Cable Internet on the other hand feeds bandwidth which is shared between users in a given area. Hence the potential for performance degradation when many internet customers in the same area are online simultaneously.

T1 is indeed point-to-point. Performance depends whether you are using the entire T1 bandwidth or fractional.

Bottomline...

DSL provides stable connection speed to the DSLAM. (aka the distance requirement.) After connection to the DSLAM, performance degradation can and does happen.

Cable performance depends on the amount of bandwidth being fed to a specific geo area. Degradation occurs when the amount of bandwidth being fed to a given geo area is being used in real-time in the geo area at a given time.

DSL has a bottleneck called a DSLAM. Cable has a bottleneck called a cable company feeding too little bandwidth to a specific geo area. T1 has no such bottlenecks.

Osorico

#25     Apr 14, 2006
  6. Thanks osorico

#26     Apr 14, 2006
  7. nitro

nitro

This stuff that you point out elementary and has been posted to ET about 5000 times by others and myself over the years to people that would rather ask then research.

I suggest you read the RFCs if you want the correct precise descriptions, but these are good introductions and is better than anyone on ET will ever write:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci213915,00.html
    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/#WhichIsBetter

What I said about DSL is correct in the context of the cable question. How an ISP routes (or even better, bridges) you once you get to their ethernet cloud is what matters.

nitro

#27     Apr 14, 2006
  8. You said..
    DSL IS NOT POINT TO POINT. At best, a DSL connection can be called stable between user and DSLAM. Nothing more. After initial connections, DSL connections are nothing similar to point-to-point.

It'll become obvious when the DSLAM a DSL line connects to needs reset or reconfiguration. Nothing to do with route. Too few DSLAMs means performance degradation. Too many DSLAM connections to a lesser backbone connection means performance degradation.

Osorico

#28     Apr 14, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

You don't understand what PTP means. There is no such thing as a cable that runs from your endpoint to the destination as one continous cable over long distances!!! Nothing! Even a PTP T1 has repeaters to the destination and other signal enhancers like multiplexers. So PTP means different things in different contexts.

What I said is correct in the context of the question asked. You are telling me that one plus one equals two. You assume that anything you have said I don't know. I do!

nitro

#29     Apr 14, 2006
  10. I am going to get two paper cups with a string attached to each side...whattaya' think of that!!!

#30     Apr 14, 2006