You daytrade because you have poor social skills?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by crgarcia, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dinoman

dinoman

Think about it.

#21     Dec 1, 2008
  2. I would not be asking the question if I have not "thought about it"

#22     Dec 1, 2008
  3. dinoman

dinoman

Read the title.

#23     Dec 1, 2008
  4. i daytrade because i suffer from severe constipation. i have not been able to find another job where i could work sitting on the john.

can't comment on social skills because i stay in the bathroom a lot...

#24     Dec 1, 2008
  5. I don't day trade at all but I decided to make a remark on investing as "value converts" are being exceptionally naive. Buy and hold would have gotten you nothing for the last 10 years. Even Cramer admits that. In reality, when you have nothing (actually less than nothing if you take into account inflation) you need that much more in the future to catch up to your "promised 8% a year")

#25     Dec 1, 2008

6. LOL

ahhh funny threads.

btw if what sort of traidng places have all these bimbos german trader???

cos fuk sitting at home all day doing this! id love to sit in an office doing it with load sof bimbos and people arojnd me for social life n sex! :p

#26     Dec 2, 2008

7. :D

#27     Dec 2, 2008

8. While I agree with you 100%. I don't think you addressed exactly why value investing is such of a worthless endevor.

Let's first start with the bloated money supply, which overvalues all assets with artificial demand. P/E of the SP500 was 47 in 2000! So, this means that liquidity goes up, which is good for traders (since trends become smoother) while very bad for investors, since fundamentals under those conditions do not drive prices.

Also, value investing assumes that the market is very inefficient. Regardless of your stance on this highly controversal theory, it would be hard to argue that the market has not become more efficient. Just consider the access that everybody has to stock screeners and instant 24/7 news. It would be foolish to think that you know something that the insiders don't know. And when something does go wrong, they will know about it before you do and price-in that event with a lot of money, causing the stock to fall very sharply before you can get out.

You can take advantage of market inefficiencies such as bubbles. Shorting the NASDAQ in 2000 could technically be called a value investment. But otherwise, I think it is unlikely that you will find a badly beaten down stock that isn't cheap for a reason. Even if you find good stocks with low P/Es, it doesn't mean that they won't get sold off further with the general market.

And yes, intrinsic value is very subjective! However, there are periods when it does become possible (like now). Right now, price and value are very loosly tied. However, this is also the riskiest time to invest, as many companies will go belly up. Knowing which penny will make it back above $5 is more of a gamble than an art.

Unfortunately, the days of finding the next walmart are gone (at least for the next few decades). This means that speculating on small-caps will be riskier than ever, especially since these depend more on liquid credit than the large caps.

cgarcia, if you knew how manipulated this "value investing" games was you'd never play it. Better to simply buy the SPY to get exposure to a bull/bear market. For get value investing, it really is a sucker's game.

#28     Dec 2, 2008
  9. Mercor

Mercor

Interesting question about poor social skills.
    Most of the answers are crude, rude and anti-social.

Point made.

#29     Dec 2, 2008
  10. Oh and what does being social mean? You consider most of those 9 to 5 zombies out there socially healthy?

#30     Dec 2, 2008