You Can't Trade Without A College Degree!!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by wallnbroad, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Cutten, pretty much sum it up...way to go

#21     Dec 22, 2007
  2. Thanks Big Hurt (lol-remember him?) I appreciate the kind words.

Shit man I just hate to see these people get brainwashed into thinking a degree is somehow a way to measure self-worth.

Fuck it, most people are suited to have a degree and run in the rat race their whole lives...that's all they're good for.....

But the ones that are different, they need to at least be given a different perspective than this "education/degree is god" bullshit.

Hell, look how much money is in education, look how much money colleges and shit make off students...it's a big money industry...not trying to sound like I'm off the deep end, but there are also other reasons for people wanting you to go to college, and it ain't just them looking out for your best interest.

I remember one of my instructors in basic said there are 3 types of people:

70%ers
    20%ers
    10% ers....

He said 70% of the population are just totally worthless, just weak as puppy piss. Not worth a damn, don't give a shit about anything but themselves. Totally ignorant.

20% of the population will step up and do something if it makes them look better or serves some short term purpose for them. As long as it makes them look good or allows them to put on a facade then they'll do a little something positive here and there.

10% of the population are the hard chargers, the shit-hot warriors out there that will kick ass and succeed at whatever life throws at them. They have honor courage and commitment and absolutely refuse to fail. They don't kiss any ass and they don't fuck people over.

He'd always remind us to ask ourselves if we were being a "10 percenter".

My comments are for the ten percenters out there.

#22     Dec 22, 2007
  3. Yep you are right. I already thought of that.

A quote from Mark Twight-

from the article twitching

Burn the bridge. Nuke the foundation. Back yourself up against a wall. Have an opinion one way or the other, get off the fence and rip it up. Cut yourself off so there is no going back. Once you're committed the truth will come out. You ask about security? What you need is uncertainty. What you need is confusion; something that forces you to reinvent yourself, a whip to drive you harder.

For those that don't know, Mark Twight is a famous climber and total bad ass. He also trained the actors for the movie 300.

#23     Dec 22, 2007
  4. Reaver,

Another great post!!!

I have friends that did the collage thing and think they are pretty hot shit for it. (as you can probably guess i didn't go to collage) Sometimes they will make a remark about collage and imply something kind of smart ass, then I just love im ing them a screen shot of my P&L to bring back down to earth.

I saw an interview with Trump once and spoke on how he thought higher education was very important, a couple questions later though he said he would never hire some one who was as smart or smarter then him......lol

A question to the people who spoke so highly of collage:
    What did you specifically learn from your academic study in collage
    that has given you an edge in the market?

#24     Dec 22, 2007
  5. lar

lar

I have no college degree but I have been a life long learner. Degree or not, it is important to educate yourself. Having a college degree is one way of demonstrating that you are capable of organizing and focusing your efforts. You know, that you at least mapped out a life plan around learning and followed it through to some level of completion. If taken seriously (outliers not included) most people advance to a higher level of critical thinking while in college.

Keep in mind that money is not everything. Some people pay too high a price to have a bigger income in light of the increasingly marginal benefit/return. There is a critical mass for every taste. I believe you can only be a real winner if you can find that spot where you have enough to live reasonably - and then spend more time in other areas of life which will give you a bigger bang for your time and energy. You only win in this trading environment if you are able to walk away from it enriched by the interactions.

I have structured my life (so far) so I am in control of my own time. It is liberating and valuable to live your life according to your own schedule and priorties. I have taken many risks different kinds of risks. Trading is the one I am most fascinated with. It has been an expensive journey but I do believe I am on the cusp of finally realizing meaningful statistical advantage in my trading.

A healthier life balance is the next goal.

Peace and prosperity,

Lar

#25     Dec 22, 2007
  6. its all good guys, but you need to understand that OP is a failed trader

I read between the lines, and I know because we were all multi years failures until we find an edge

#26     Dec 22, 2007
  7. Good post, Reaver.

I find it sometimes helps to take a course on the internet or at a local college, if there is something that I wish to learn and can not learn it on my own.

#27     Dec 22, 2007
  8. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote from Rearden Metal:

Let's see, I know this guy (Let's just call him R.M.)- Made his first million from trading at age 24 with no degree or even one single day of college. The highest level of English language education he achieved was the 5th grade. He went to high school overseas, but most of this 'education' was comprised of worthless theological crap. At age 18 he was handed a machine gun and bussed off to war.

Yeah, I think you can do OK with no degree.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell us more about this guy you know named R.M......sounds like a cool motherfucker.

===

I want to hear more also. Sounds like an exciting story.

#28     Dec 22, 2007
  9. most people SHOULD get their college degree.

Its the people with large egos, the people who can support their constant failures with complete self belief in themselves that they can succeed in risky ventures such as indiviudal trading and entrepeneurship, Its these people that can cut it out all alone in the woods, because their self belief will give them hope 24/7.

How many people have this kind of self belief?

--------------

the people who make it, usually make it very young, under 25.
    If you haven't made it under 25, or 30, well.... then it means you are not doing something you have passion about.

#29     Dec 22, 2007
  10. Reaver,

I can relate to your attitude but I have to defer to Cutten. I came across a situation where I had an idea and could make it work but had no credibility without the degree. This only left me with the choice of hiring someone with a degree to add legitimacy (what a distasteful thought, if you know what I mean).

There are also some "places" in life where you might want to go (you'll know them when you get there) and they are "invitation only" meaning you must have a degree. (Politics, for instance)

If you continue to choose to be a maverick, I suggest to diversify at an early age in this way, real estate, self employment, financial markets. You can beat the college grads in every dept except possibly the security of the pension dept.

#30     Dec 22, 2007