You can't deny Bush this:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jonbig04, Sep 13, 2008.

1. wjk

wjk

I believe improved intelligence sharing has made us safer from major sponsored terror, but there is little or nothing that can be done by any government entity about “sudden jihad syndrome”, a term some apply to a self appointed jihadist. I don’t believe any political party can be held accountable for some of these types of attacks (at least without stripping us of many freedoms). If so, please explain.

Here is an expanded list to add to those mentioned in a previous post. These all have a possible religious component.

http://www.freedomsenemies.com/_more/suddenjihadsyndrome.htm

The sight has a political bias, but the names are linked, so check them out before debunking. They were all in the news, though not necessarily reported as terrorism. Google them if you distrust the sight.

There will be attacks by self appointed jihadists. The big question is: How will it be reported? Now we’re back to the media debate. What do they chose to report or not report? How do they choose to report it? Domestic crime or radical Islam? How does the media define terrorism? Does it need to have a religious component? What do we consider a “major” attack?

#31     Sep 14, 2008
  2. wjk

wjk

True. I can't debate that point, but some would say the same about 9/11 and the Clintons. Some of the 9/11 attackers were under suspicion in the 90's, as was OBL. Years of planning went into each attack, I would guess. I believe there is no shortage of blame to go around. I also believe that the pres is not alone in blame, or credit. We had dems in congress under Bush 1, and pubs under Clinton. I think we now have a greater chance of stopping major terror as a result of the current admin.

#32     Sep 14, 2008
  3. There's no question that intelligence sharing has improved due to the 9/11 commission's recommendations.

Sadly, given that terrorism is up massively from before 2003, it is also clear that the country is in more danger than we were before Iraq.

Well if you watch Fox, in order to be reported the attacks have to be either done by a Muslim, or by a woman in a bikini.

#33     Sep 14, 2008
  4. The American media is under a new PC doctrine where they're increasingly hesitant to mention the religious affiliation of "terrorists".(a word that's ALSO out of vogue-too judgmental)

That's why these days you see a lot of folks being identified in the media as "rebels", "insurgents", "separatists" ect. Nine times out of ten when you see those code words you can replace them with "Islamic extremists". And when you read the code phrase "government forces" that refers to the secular, democratic government under attack.

#34     Sep 14, 2008
  5. Absolutely. However, there was one difference between the two presidents: one repeatedly worked to make terrorism a priority before 9/11. Clinton added $300 million for anti-terrorism, attacked Bin Laden (and was attacked by Republicans as "wagging the dog.")

In fact, Deputy CIA Director and Republican John McLaughlin said "Bill Clinton agressively pursed Osama bin Laden. I have to give Clinton a lot of credit for his agressiveness in getting bin Laden."

Another Republican described him as "obsessed" with Bin Laden.

And this was before 9/11.

Contrast that to the current president, who took a record amount of vacation days before 9/11, whose administration did not hold a single cabinet level meeting on terrorism before 9/11, proposed cutting the terrorism budget and was fixated with a missile shield. Even after getting a memo entitled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike Within the US" he didn't even put the airports on alert.

Bush even came out and said that he "didn't feel that sense of urgency” about al Qaeda.

Well it's good that you still have confidence in the Republican party and the administration. I don't.

You can check the Terrorism Knowledge Base online if you wish to break down attacks by date, country of origin, and so on. But suffice to say we're in a lot more danger now.

#35     Sep 14, 2008
  6. Well that, and also because it's meaningless given that there are over a billion Muslims of all different sects.

No more meaningful than describing a nut who shoots up a church or mall as "Christian."

#36     Sep 14, 2008
  7. The relgious affiliation of the Beltway Sniper is certainly a less important mention than ignoring the religion of forces involved in civil wars.

#37     Sep 14, 2008
  8. So headlines about Ireland should have read "Christian Kills 30 Christians In Bomb Attack"

#38     Sep 14, 2008
  9. You're telling me the IRA wasn't identified as a Catholic organization? That the British loyalists weren't called Protestants?

#39     Sep 14, 2008
  10. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

So we haven't had a large meteor collision -- therefore our astrophysicists must be geniuses. We haven't had a major earthquake in the East Coast -- go seismologists! We haven't had a major foreign terrorist attack before Bush so all presidents before were counter terrorist gurus. We haven't had a (place an event here that occurs so rarely that any type of conclusions from it's number of occurrences would be meaningless) so we must be the best!!!

#40     Sep 14, 2008