You are NOT alone…..trading and depression.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by insert, Jul 3, 2007.

1. And when all else fails there is always Smith and Wesson...

#21     Jul 8, 2007
  2. Trading is a tough business.. no doubt about it. The only way 99% of traders will succeed in the long run is if they have a documented trading plan that contains an edge. A plan that includes a lot more aspects then just trade setups and markets to trade. The other 1% are just plain lucky or able to execute a plan in their head at all times. Trading without a plan with an edge is like going out, buying a set of clubs and competing against tiger woods the next day. It takes time, practice and discipline. I believe that most traders(myself included) will not rid themself of a lot of these psychological issues until they understand and implement this crucial aspect of trading.

#22     Jul 8, 2007
  3. Well, I have to admit I suck in trading. I think I am pretty smart and succeed in almost everything I am serious about, from sports to academic, to hobbies, etc, but not trading.

Now, trading is my only hobby. I am not lazy, constantly I stay up till 2 or 3 am doing research. It has been 1.5 yrs, but I still haven't found a clue yet. There are many times I thought I found the holy grail, but turned out I lost pretty big.

Some times i am really mad at myself. Trading is THE toughest work I have encountered in my life. I am not going to give it up easily. It is about HOPE.

Cheers everyone.

#23     Jul 8, 2007
  4. lar

lar

I've been trading about 9 years. You have to put the time in to learn everything thrown at you then decide what to discard. Somehow in this process of elimination, one begins to provide themself with their own view of how the market presents opportunities and risks.

Depression and other mental health issues come into play (IMHO) because we need to make the transition from A) being able to influence our environment to B) having absolutely no influence on our environment. In other words, we need to change ourselves because the juggernaut market pays absolutely no attention to our efforts. We need to establish a symbiant role with it. It is not about the market. It is about changing ourselves. This, IMO is what causes the mental health issues. Knowing that in order to succeed, we need to abandon our previously held notions of who we are and what we can (or cannot) do. Ejecting our positive perception of who we are relative to what we do and what it matters is difficult on our psyche. I think this tearing down process is necessary to be able to build from the ground up in a functionally useful way... for those who can survive the process.

Just a thot.

Peace and gtty,

Lar

#24     Jul 9, 2007
  5. PhiliC

PhiliC

A couple of ideas. Don't be afraid to change strategies. I started off as a trader but was terrible. I became a fundamental long term investor and started to make money.

I came back to trading over the years w/ a better understanding of the fundamental picture. I use TA to time trades but its the fundamentals or perceived fundamentals that count. Also know when to fade the crowd. TA generally is horse sh....t - tough way to get rich. Also don't chase moves -- recipe for sustained losing -- via the trend followers.

I think your results will improve if you focus on not losing money as opposed to making money. Trade small and infrequently -- trade only when you're really on top of an idea. You can't help but do better. Even if you don't do that great profit wise -- at least you'll stop losing gobs of $. Eventually you'll bag a couple of nice profits a long the way. Good luck.

#25     Jul 9, 2007

6. Well said.

#26     Jul 9, 2007
  7. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ezSGqbuo0g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ezSGqbuo0g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#27     Jul 9, 2007
  8. insert

insert

I don't care much for the song, but what a great work of art :eek:

#28     Jul 9, 2007
  9. ananda

ananda

"because we need to make the transition from A) being able to influence our environment to B) having absolutely no influence on our environment"

Zeno, Cleanthes and the whole school of Stoics would applaud this statement. As would the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius - his "Meditations" are a very soothing and helpful treatise.

An acceptance of this concept can bring much comfort in life.

#29     Jul 10, 2007
  10. ananda

ananda

For anyone who would enjoy a more light-hearted and irreverent take on Stoicism I recommend "A Man in Full" by Tom Woolfe.

And for the more serious minded, the writings of the slave Epictetus are an essential read.

#30     Jul 10, 2007