You and I May Be Living in a Giant Hologram

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by killthesunshine, Jan 4, 2010.

1. So what was it. I'm now virus shy and don't click anymore.

2. stay under your bed :D

3. bronks

bronks

Do we need to get Theseus involved here?

4. Best idea you've had so far.:D

5. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the link. That is very interesting. I have known of this as a possibility from Maldacena's theorem. That there could be experimental results confirming this is out of this world amazing.

I don't understand how they can distinguish true random noise from a signal from something so fundamentally minute. I don't quite follow how the projection of what happens at the edge of the universe onto it's interior, how they are able to defuzzify the presence of a signal from noise.

6. Illum

Illum

Can anyone do me a favor and put this in layman terms? Well... how about idiot terms is better for me. Even if it's not quite an exact analogy, it would be helpful heh. :confused: :)

7. nitro

nitro

That article already puts it in layman's terms. But I will try.

Basically there is a theorem from Maldecena that shows that you can not distinguish the physics of living in a five dimensional universe from a four dimensional one where the physics of the 4-D universe take place on the four dimensional boundary. This is a bit abstract if you are not used to it. There is a strong tie with it and Hawkins discovery on information loss in black holes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_information_paradox

But this is an aside albeit important one in following the idea on a deeper level.

The idea is that a boundary of a lower dimensional manifold can encode all the information of a higher dimension manifold:

http://hologramreality.blogspot.com/2009/03/is-our-universe-gigantic-hologram.html

So what we think is a four dimensional universe may be an illusion of a projection of some three dimensional boundary somewhere. It is as if we (our reality) are are being played on a movie screen.

I am not sure this helps...I probably said the same thing using different words. :(

8. mxjones

mxjones

[​IMG]

9. bronks

bronks

Christ there's a lot of information out there.

Over the weekend, I went down the rabbit hole of mind emulation only to end up at some transhumanist seance (Guess who the key note speaker was?). Now, you start bringing up space/time continuums with entropy and thermal dynamics for flavor. Are we gonna dice up time linearly or continue to exist throughout the spectrum at the same time... or both?

I read the article twice and it makes me dizzy.

#10     Jan 4, 2010