Yoohoo's guide to becoming a great trader

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by yoohoo, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TZ, when you can post what will happen and it does and you are almost always correct then you will realize there is a big difference from thinking you know what would work and what actually does work.

While a lot of your posts have merit, at times you throw out the baby with the bathwater because you don’t know how to make the cut. I am not being belligerent, just telling you that your approach will ensure you don’t make the breakthrough.

I took Hershey to task and offered to trade against him in full view of ET because I saw him fooling new traders into thinking he was some kind of trading God when in reality his ideas are broken.

You are the opposite of the pendulum swing compared to Hershey because you have no idea what works but think you know what doesn’t work and act like an inverted guru. Only when you are making the cut will you be able to help others understand what doesn’t work for sure.

Personally I have nothing against you, you have never wounded me so please consider this a reality check, as you like to give such checks to others. Let’s deal with your comments and I realize they were well intended…

· Saying you need SOME kind of past behavior to plan trades is misunderstanding the use of the Keys. Your Personal Journal is only about discovering what works or what would have worked if you were more aware, more clued up. It is ALL about learning from past behaviour to apply solutions in the future.

· Chopping trades too early is a lot worse? I need to clarify what you mean but here's my answer if I understand you correctly. (1)Chop is actually telling you about the quality of the trade and how to handle it. (2) Chop usually follows a quality set up entry and the stop is seldom hit or if it chops for a long time without making progress there are other tells to wash the trade. (3) Chop usually ends with a small quality move that warns you if you are on the sidelines that it is time to enter a trade, as the break is usually very fast.

· You say, “reading the market” is too vague. Fair comment and I leave it open because the level of proficiency is determined by personal effort and creativity. If you look at my past posts you will see a variety of styles of reading from below the 1 minute to months ahead, but this comes with decades of practice. However if the Keys are followed a much greater level of understanding will follow so anyone can improve their ability to read the market. "Read the market" means understanding what is happening now that will make what comes next something that can be quantified.

· It takes years to get the evidence that mechanical entries have inbuilt flaws. Some are major flaws and others just cause prolonged distress for a period of time with huge draw downs. They are MY enemies, as are all of these points. They may not be your enemies if you have a successful long-term approach. Attaincapital.com is a good resource for trading system results. Get this in your email for a few years and try to make your own work for some years and you will understand what I mean and why they are my enemy.

Technical Analysis is an incredibly powerful tool for reading the markets way into the future or just looking a few minutes ahead. Unfortunately most of the criticism of TA has been by people who cannot make it work and expect those who do make it work to show their hand.

I have paid it forward on ET but the deepest discoveries remain in my hands and no one has seen them. On ET I called the market bottom way in advance. I might post how I called the Dow bottom intraday to my private list if I have time.

Bottom line: TA is amazing and if you follow my 5 Keys and really work at it you won’t need anyone to tell you what to do.

#41     Nov 24, 2009
  2. Oh while I remember, Omni Trader... there's a good tool for mechanical traders to bang their heads against a wall with.

Did that for a few years.

#42     Nov 24, 2009
  3. ammo

ammo

i was stopped out of about 3 mini trading accts while learning to trade, the comment about prolonging the losers death rings a bell,i learned to take less trades and use myself as a stop(mental). I didnt then and still dont know how to place them ,lack of this knowledge makes stops very expensive,i think more costly than not using them, an emergency stop should be used but stops in the wrong hands can nickel dime u to death

#43     Nov 24, 2009
  4. Hi ammo. Funny I trained an ex floor trader (he's reading this) and just assumed he knew how to place and move stops. His initial placement was obvious because I had taught how to enter but I clean forgot to teach how to move the stop. Once I showed him this it helped increase his profits.

Locking in profits is vital and stop placement is an easy thing to learn. However I can't comment on your predicament because I don't know how you trade.

If you pm me with your entry set up I will see if I can determine something that fits your trading style.

#44     Nov 24, 2009

5. A messiah complex, a budding cult leader??? have move authoratative, demanding , in control sounding words ever been posted on elite trader? My god, people, listen to this joker... its straight out of the cult handbook http://www.reallyweirdstuff.com/howtobesuccessfulcultleader.htm

I CALLED, I KNOW, THE DEEPEST DISCOVERIES REMAIN IN MY HANDS, WOUNDED ME, TA IS AMAZING, FOLLOW MY, FOLLOW ME, DECADES OF PRACTICE----- yet I post on elite----

Let's hope this guy is a simple vendor and is selling product--otherwise...look out!!

Funnier still is the "true believer" who will run up and defend this guy. just wait if you want some humour.

#45     Nov 24, 2009
  6. Yes, ammo, you found out the HARD WAY. May I suggest this thread to help you, real traders with real experience have posted here and its full of good ideas.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183353&highlight=stops

Let the cult followers and guru seekers wallow here.

good luck!

#46     Nov 24, 2009
  7. ammo

ammo

thanks cold, i've noticed your use of expletives has waned and the weekend rants seem to have disappeared, you seem happier,what ever you're doing keep it up.

#47     Nov 24, 2009
  8. I don't trade predictive trading models, but I'm curious to know if you've ever taken a look at Michael Parson's work on reversals.

I've seen that you're into moon cycles. What else do you actively concentrate on.......Hurst, Gann, Elliiot or just your own stuff?

#48     Nov 24, 2009
  9. I spoke reality, and it is based on more research and study than yoohoo can possibly imagine. And rollingstatic hit some nails on the head...

#49     Nov 24, 2009
  10. Hi Alpine, nope never came across Michael's work but had a quick look and it overlaps some of my ideas so I will take a closer look.

It's not often a trader understands Time. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Almost everyone thinks they are trading PA when it's really Time Action and if they understood that they would look at the clock a lot more often.

All that you mention have been influences but it's developed into my own ideas. I only did the Moon thing to help some traders think outside of the box because cycles are such a huge subject and the moon is an interesting consideration.

Also it's fun to get people like Cold to give me guru status. I'm well chuffed.

#50     Nov 24, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.