YM versus ES fallacy

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, May 24, 2007.

1. Why do you think the .25 tick is making the ES harder to 'trade'.

When stocks went to penny spreads, was it easier or harder to make $.

I rest my case.

#41     Aug 6, 2007
  2. e-CBOT has native stops since last year or so. Works great.

ER2 has best bang for the buck for margin, but it's so jumpy, you have to allow wider stops so its risk/reward ratio is not much better (if at all) than ES or YM.

#42     Aug 6, 2007
  3. Newbies should not start with futures. Period. I suggest SPY QQQQ IWM DIA and no leverage. Gains and losses will be microscopic, but the point at the beginning is to learn how not to lose your butt.

Most methods for ETFs will work for futures and viceversa.

#43     Aug 6, 2007
  4. erToo

erToo

Last I heard CBOT has native stops (market), but not native stop limit orders. So if your market stop is hit and the market is moving you may get 3-6 tick slippage. Perhaps someone who has definitive information on this could clarify the issue.

#44     Aug 7, 2007
  5. From the horse's mouth:

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/cont_detail/0,3206,1123+48850,00.html

This bulletin is a reminder that current e-cbot functionality includes Host-based Stop orders and Request for Quote (RFQ). Please review the sections below which describe the functionality in detail.

Host-based Stop Orders

Stop Market and Stop Limit order types are available on the Trading Host. Buy Stop orders will be triggered by a trade at or above the Stop Trigger Price and Sell Stop orders will be triggered by a trade at or below the Stop Trigger Price. Higher bids/lower offers, as well as strategy leg prices, will not activate Stop Orders.
    For a Stop Market order, once the Stop price is triggered, the order is entered into the Trading Host as a Market order. This order acts as a regular Market order and will match against any resting bids or offers in the market up to the dynamic price limit range. If there is any remaining quantity on the market order after it reaches the dynamic limit, it will be automatically cancelled by the Trading Host.
    Stop Limit orders are configured to have the same trigger and limit prices. Once the Stop price is triggered, the order is entered into the Trading Host as a Limit order at the trigger price.

#45     Aug 7, 2007
  6. Agreed

CajunSniper / Puretick.com Administrator-Trader

#46     Aug 14, 2007
  7. Boomer

Boomer

any other input on this issue...i am currently trying to watch these markets and find which one fits for me...

#47     Feb 2, 2008
  8. Find the lowest common denominator of the largest participants. It is the es..

#48     Feb 2, 2008
  9. Ok I'll buy 1-3 but I'm not sure what you mean on #4. The ES is $15/tick and the YM is $5 a tick. Isn't $15 > $5?

Caj

#49     Feb 10, 2008
  10. Chriz

Chriz

The ES is 12.5$ per tick.

#50     Feb 10, 2008