YM versus ES fallacy

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by increasenow, May 24, 2007.

1. Many have "said newbies should start with the YM"...I disagree, here is why:
    1-more volume on ES, better fills
    2-less erratic or volatile
    3-less whiplash spikes
    4-easier to psychologically handle "draw downs" as does not move as "large" in numbers as the YM
    ...any other thoughts?...thanks for your insights in advance!!!

2. STEERAM

STEERAM Guest

I think the YM is great for noobs or pros. Remember the ES per tick is 12.50 as opposed to 5.00$ for the ym. It seems like you some people want the ES becuase of the 12.50 but they don't realize the can lose more. The market move the same and you can get good at the ym first and formost and not have as much risk as the ES. Then is your not satisfied you can always take more size in the ym once you get consistent and make good money with not as much risk. The heavy volume in the ES is getting to the point where it makes it hard to trade because of waiting for your fill forever, so its not for the impatient noob who might panic and take out casue they didnt want to wait. I have been trading a while and I trade the ER2 and the YM. I like them both and I can make money on both but when I do size( casue of doubling down, which is my vice) I get hurt a lot less in the YM than in the er2

3. depends on ur setups imo, I get out before I subject my self to a loss like the one shown on spectra's clip. YM makes sense for lower volume traders, but if ur trading 60+ contracts than YM is gonna loose it's appeal.

4. STEERAM

STEERAM Guest

I can agree with that. I usually avg up or down to about 50 and then try to piece out but if I have to trade out then it gets a little nasty in the ym, as well as the er2. But I can see that in the es it would be definatley easier with that size but If i am scalping 10 cars at a time here and there personally and honestly I dont have the patience for the size in the es

5. I wonder why no one has mentioned NQ.

6. STEERAM

STEERAM Guest

I never even looked to trade that at all maybe I will take a look at it and see what its like, what are your thoughts, is it 6$ per tick?

7. NQ is $5 per tick and has better volume than YM or ER2.

8. STEERAM

STEERAM Guest

Does it swing with the volatility of the ER2.

9. Allaces

Allaces

No.. nothing does.. ER2 best bang for buck in town

#10     May 24, 2007