YM Overnight Margin Question

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by doragio, Mar 31, 2008.

1. doragio

doragio

This thing with the intra-day and overnight margins are a bit confusing so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Currently my broker I'm demoing has 500 intra-day margins for YM contract. And then this margin fluctuates into 3000+ or so after regular trading hours it seems

So let's say I'm long 4 contracts of YM on a 10k acct. Effectively my intra-day margin is 2000, now let's say by the end of regular trading session I'm breakeven and would like to hold overnight. At this point, according to the margins, 3000 X 4 = 12k for margin requirements. Does this mean that at this point irregardless of my profits or losses, because the margins exceed my 10k acct that the system will force liquidate?

Thanks

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yes, at least a partial liquidation.
    I believe overnight maintenance margin is $2802/contract

3. Yes. Make sure you have enough to cover the over night if your going to be sleeping with any positions.

4. Current overnight margin for the YM is $3503 (from CME Group website). With exactly 10K in your account you would only be able to hold 2 YM contracts overnight. If you had profits on open trades that pushed your account above $10,509 you would be able to hold 3 contracts overnight.

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Initial performance bond (margin), maintenance margin is what would be in effect to hold an existing position overnight.

6. Maintenance margin only comes into play after you have put up the full overnight initial margin for your position. To start with maintenance margin leaves zero room for the position to go against you.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

True, in the thread starters case though he had initiated a position using intra day margin. Then at 4pm the requirement reverts to maintenance margin since he was already in the position.

8. doragio

doragio

Thanks everyone for their input and comments. been away for a while.

9. RELATED QUESTION ???? iF I OPEN A POSITION in the es mini contract at 8:00 am (nyc) time and close the position by 1 pm each day on a regular basis are there brokers that allow intrday margin rules for this trade??

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

As far as I know intra day margins will only apply between 09:30 - 4:00

#10     Apr 23, 2008