YM Contract Rollover

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Big AAPL, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

I just received notice that the March08 YM contract rolls over on Thursday, March 13 to the June contract. My question is this:

The last time I rolled over the YM contract ( I guess it was sometime in Dec. ) I noticed there was significantly more volume on the old contract than the new front month, as it played out to expiry. I didn't pay attention to how many more days it lasted as I was fixated on the new one, so can any one shed some light on as to when I (or any futures trader) should actively trade the new contract? And, can one continue to trade the old contract and for how long.

TIA

2. Surdo

Surdo

3. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Much appreciated.

4. guy2

guy2

The analysis that I did shows that the two contracts will have roughly the same volume up until 9:30 ET at which point the volume in the old (expiring) contract will tail off and the new contract will have significantly better prices.

Basically, if you're opening a new position at any time tomorrow morning that you intend to hold for more than a few minutes of scalp then you should be using the new contract. i.e. if you intend to close the contract after 9:30am switch to new.

5. Rockhoundnz

Rockhoundnz Guest

Does anyone know when the "@YM" type symbols change over?

6. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

If you mean the T&S, there should be a way to select the new contract from the instrument list in the property dialogue box with whatever platform you are using.

7. Rockhoundnz

Rockhoundnz Guest

Sorry, what I mean is the @YM (for the Dow eminis) symbol automatically rolls over for you, so you never have to think about it, I just want to know when it does it.

8. maxpi

maxpi

Your data supplier makes up the continuous contract. They could fill you in on the details..

9. We are rolling Wed 19th

10. Surdo

Surdo

YMH08 Volume = 64,482
    YMM08 Volume = 263,540

Any particular reason you DO NOT trade the "front month"?

surdo

#10     Mar 14, 2008