yhoo

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by xxxskier, Jul 17, 2007.

1. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

last call to get in at good prices.

squeeze in progress.

earnings today after the bell. earnings will be flat, but the street expected that....but new ceo will spark new interest.

2. narballs

narballs

curious to see where yahoo will go, i myself went long here...

Yahoo posts drop in profit, hurt by display ads
    Tuesday July 17, 4:38 pm ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Internet media company Yahoo Inc. (NasdaqGS:YHOO - News) on Tuesday reported a dip in quarterly profit in line with previously lowered expectations, weighed down by weak brand advertising and recent management turmoil.

Net income for the second quarter fell to $161 million, or 11 cents per diluted share, from the year-earlier quarter's $164 million, or 11 cents per diluted share. Earnings excluding one-time items were $238 million, or 17 cents per share, compared with $241 million, or 16 cents per share, a year ago.

Gross revenue rose 8 percent to $1.70 billion. Excluding the cost of payments to advertising partners, revenue rose 11 percent to $1.24 billion.

Wall Street was looking for a net profit, on average, of 11 cents a share, according to Reuters Estimates. The consensus for profit excluding one-time items was also 11 cents a share.

Yahoo, which has produced disappointing results in five of the last six quarters and watched its share price drop 38 percent since the start of 2006, recently said revenue for the second quarter would fall at the low end of its prior outlook.

3. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

after listening to the conf. call my sense is that yhoo will be dead money for the next 3 months. no big moves up or down.

i may trim my long position if there is a little pop in the near future and then add some back in at better prices as i do feel that the long-term prospects are good......big companies take a while to turnaround. but, i'm not happy about the near-term for sure.

the only thing that makes me feel okay about holding my position for several more months is that if yhoo goes down much more they become a very attractive buy-out target, and with their substantial asian investments they would get a very healthy premium.

4. Yahoo will blow out next qtr, guaranteed.

New CEO + lowered guidance + no expectations = Massive beat so that Wall St. can fall in love with Yahoo's "new management" and their "turnaround plan".

2 1/2 months of dead money and then a nice run-up into earnings.

5. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

thanks for the confidence booster, longhorns, but i've been burned before (not on yhoo) when i thought something was "guaranteed".

nevertheless, i've held onto yhoo so long now i probably will just keep it.....geez....in a few more months it will qualify for long-term cfapital gains tax treatment. i got in last october when it sold iff sharply...got in at 24-25-26.

6. I was just joking about the "guaranteed" part. :)

I wouldn't touch it until next earnings report (besides intra day stuff). Good luck with your position.

7. Yahoo is dead in the water

may go to 20

or even 14 a share

8. 14...no shot.

In this environment, it would be gobbled up long before it ever got near that price.

9. S2007S

S2007S

lowest I see is 22-24. Anything under 20 is a long, long term buy.

10. I have a October 2007 30 calls bought at 3.50 now they are at 1.40 and what they may be next day who knows.

Any ideas what I can do? Repair the calls, open a butterfly or sell and take loss? :D

#10     Jul 18, 2007