Yet another multimonitor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAAintheBeltway, May 21, 2003.

1. TGregg

TGregg

And you might just barely get by. . . :D

#11     May 22, 2003
  2. I will add when I get around to adding some table space. Right now I'll have to scrape by on the three plus the two on the other computer.

What about the Appian cards? At one time they were pretty popular, Baron used to sell them here. Are they ok with the xp and ATI card?

#12     May 22, 2003
  3. Whamo

Whamo

I have an Appian X4 card that I like but use it with Windows 2000.

#13     May 22, 2003
  4. AAA,

4 monitors is a limit for me only due to desk size , eyeball attention, and budget constraints. As other posters point out, 16 plus monitors is possible.

But what few people appreciate is how easy and cheap it is to move from 1 monitor to 3 or 4, which creates a managable and effective trading station.

E.g., one Apian 4x card costs more than than what I spent on 4 monitors --1 new 19", 3 used 15"/17", all CRT-- and my video cards --1 new dual , 2 used singles.

Charlie

#14     May 22, 2003
  5. gwnorth

gwnorth

AAA you need to find out if the chipset on the ATI is compatible with the Appian chipset. By this I mean in my circumstance my system came with an single AGP ATI and so I pulled that out and went for a dual head. The dual head I went with was a Nvidia MX440 which has an Intel chipset. So when it was time for another dual head I needed to find a PCI card that was compatible with the Intel Chipset on the Nvidia. Asked the guys at Matrox and they said their cards would be ok with the Nvidia and so I plugged in a Millenium G450 PCI on the furthest slot away from the AGP slot as suggested to limit any possible conflict issues and not a problem has occurred. They run great together on XP and have for some time supporting 4 LCD's.

Good Luck

gw

#15     May 23, 2003
  6. Why not put ATI PCI cards in (dual or not) your PCI slots?
    Wouldn't they be compatible with the AGP card?

#16     May 23, 2003
  7. i have ant ati gl4 in my mpro workstation. in order to bulk up for 2 more screens can i put in a dual head pci along with the existing agp card. i intend to go all digital lcd at some point.

on a second note. has any one had experience with running your video output to a plasma screen. will the output be as clear as an lcd?

#17     May 23, 2003
  8. gnome

gnome

I believe Appian cards use ATI driver, so it likely will work. I'd still check with both ATI and Appian before buying or even installing. (I bought a Dell with ATI card once. Tried to install other ATI cards and found the drivers to be incompatible in W2K. It created such a mess, I ended up having to throw away the card that came with the Dell and reinstall the OS from scratch... the card was an ATI Rage Ultra. If you've got that one, caution suggested. The Rage Ultra is not really an ATI card.. just one made up for Dell with ATI driver.)

#18     May 23, 2003
  9. Whamo

Whamo

I had the same issue when I tried to add 2 ATI cards to my Dell running 2000.

#19     May 23, 2003
  10. Interesting points. I checked the Appian website and they have a handy compatibility chart. Only their current cards appear to be xp compliant. They list the older ones such as the J1 and J2 as not compliant.

I indeed do have the ATI rage Ultra card as the agp card. Replacing it is not a big deal, but I would hope to avoid some O/S meltdown. We'll see how it goes. Looks like I will be scouting for a G200 or 450, forget the Appians.

#20     May 23, 2003