Yesterday's mid-day push

Discussion in 'Options' started by elitenapper, May 2, 2018.

1. Any knowledgeable / connected trader care to share some insight / opinion about yesterday's sudden, across-the-board upward push starting at around 1:40pm?

What entity / entities did that?

I was watching SPY, DIA, AMZN, FB, NFLX, GOOG, CAT, BA, ... they all started to jump at the same time.

2. redman

redman

Happens before FOMC minutes day.

elitenapper and tommcginnis like this.
  3. Maybe it was Apple's buy-back announcement.

4. Trading or following or monitoring the market on an intra-day, daily basis...can be incredibly complex.

You have to understand it's somewhat part art, part science. -- If you are a linear, flat, rational...logical-minded person...you should be a fundamental, longer term investor instead.

I partially expected that 1:40pm upwards, slightly correction move.
    At the open, I assumed a bearish/neutral market sentiment....the further it moves downward...it may bounce, or correct, back to neutral territory...and you should be expecting and positioned for that.

You should have somewhat logical, rational expectations...but don't trade or bet or assume just yet...wait for the market to flirt with you, give you subtle signs.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    elitenapper likes this.

• Happens all the time and for no reason - the whole market surges up or down at the same time.
    • And there is always an exception, one of the big techs doesn't participate and they trade flat.
    • I find it odd that everything can move suddenly like that on no apparent news.

elitenapper likes this.
  5. helgen_1

helgen_1

I trade the ES. Here is what I saw: We couldn't go lower, so we went higher.

You might think I am trying to trip you up here, but I'm not.

H.

elitenapper likes this.
  6. I'm a newbie at trading. What is ES? So much stuff to learn.

7. Wonder if algorithm trading bots or coordinated / prearranged maneuver by big players have anything to do with such well-synchronized large moves.

8. Thanks for the reply. I'm just a small timer beginning to learn trading seriously.

What traits are better suited to short term and intra-day trading?