Yesterday's Hi-Lo range on the ES: a favor

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by candletrader, Jul 29, 2003.

1. I watch the 5 day atr and right now as a % it is < 1% which is significantly small. These are probably the smallest ranges I've seen during a non holiday period.

#51     Aug 21, 2003
  2. Ditch

Ditch

IMO, tick size is already a factor, a smaller tick size on NQ and Es is long overdue.

#52     Aug 21, 2003
  3. Yeah - I'm inclined to agree. I wouldn't mind seeing .1 on Es and NQ or at least .25 on NQ...

Best

Natalie

#53     Aug 21, 2003
  4. How about trading the cubes or spyders then?

#54     Aug 21, 2003
  5. This range contraction in the futures is worrying. Yes - it is right in the middle of the holidays, but the daily range is getting to be almost half what it was when the NQ was 400 points lower than this.

I'm looking at a trend having formed that is leading to continual contraction inspite of the increases in price level, and only supported at the current levels due to a few larger range days interspersed keeping it open.

ES is much the same. Where I take out the biggest and smallest 10% of ranges on the day, then both the points range and % of price range look decidedly unhealthy in their declining trend.

I wonder what september is going to hold...

Best

Natalie

#55     Aug 27, 2003
  6. 5 point range on the sp, amazing. I'd looks for substantial volatility coming out of this period in late september.

#56     Aug 27, 2003
  7. Something must break sometime, but this is very squeezed indeed isn't it. If this doesn't break as you suggest then we are going into a period with a great deal of stagnation intraday.

However, when this does break open - wey-hey - it'll be like christmas with all the goodies there for the taking. :)

Best

Natalie

#57     Aug 27, 2003
  8. It's truly amazing, isn't it? The pro's aren't giving anything to the trendy traders these days. Countless little mini-swings all day long, fading tops & bottoms on the 15s & 1-min...

Scalpers Heaven!!!

Lord, our daily bread give us today :)

~Sci

#58     Aug 28, 2003
  9. Agree. .1 T's on all of'em. The way it used to be with the SP. I've been doing a lot of leveraged equity trading lately on the semi's etc - Simply got kind of annoyed with the low tick range on ES and NQ. Offers little during these times of no-range, the spread is just massive. Stocks have 1c-Increments.

But yeah, then I don't mean to be whining or anything...

~Scientist

#59     Aug 28, 2003