Yay I want one

Discussion in 'Economics' started by huh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. huh

huh

2. aegis

aegis

Still too expensive.

I could get a 10 year old Civic for $5k and still get 30 mpg.

3. S2007S

S2007S

Looks like GMs volt has a little competition.

Nissan can do 100 miles, the volt 40, Nissan is fully electric the volt is not.

4. I could probably save close to $2k/year on gas money. Don't you need to replace the battery at some point?

besides, where do i put my kids?

5. huh

huh

Yeah I agree that the cost may still be a bit high but its nice to see some forward movement. I was on the fence with the Volt because of the price but at least Nissan is giving some hope that they can get the price under 30K. Which will also add some pressure on Ford to bring their EV Focus price to a more reasonable level as well as the GM Volt.

So I'm excited to see some competition in this area. I'll keep the wifes gas POS for long trips and I can buy this for our day to day. Hopefully won't need to step into a gas station more than once or twice a year.

6. So you can drive 100 miles on a $3 charge, essentially getting 100 mpg based on a $3 gallon of gas. The home charging station is $2200 plus installation, probably another 2k (washes out the tax credit.) Gas will go up and so will electric. I suppose you can add the $2200 charging station into the price of the car. I wonder how many hours you can idle on a charge.

7. S2007S

S2007S

Everyone thinks these electric cars are going to save them money, they aren't, electricity will start rising and before you know it riding a bicycle or walking will be cheaper. My utility bill continues to move higher, already said they are increasing it again over the next year.

8. huh

huh

Well everybody has different reasons for buying electric rather than a gas, mine is not so much based on pure gas prices so I don't believe the savings will be that great. Although if you already have solar panels on your house (which is my plan for later this year because I'm sick of the utilities jacking my rates every year), this will create savings for me anyway. Still need more details on the additional costs like the charging stations, etc as nutmeg pointed out.

I'll stand on my momentary soapbox for the day and say that I'd rather pay $3 a 100 miles to my local utility company to charge my car than $3 to the middle least.

Now off my soapbox.... It could be interesting if an EV could replace 1 out of the 2.2 cars that every house hold owns. Pipe dream but it would be nice. Obviously more electric demand means creating more nuclear plants, solar energy generation, and probably more coal plants (I don't think coal is any better than using oil) but I would hope with a viable demand for electricity they would find it more worhwhile to invest in cleaner power generation........plus again I'd rather pay little jimmy to generate my power than nainanajar.

9. pspr

pspr

I think the towing charges for the Leaf will defeat the all-electric advantage. Imagine you're out shopping and don't anticipate how far it is to get back home. You'll either have to push the car home or have it towed to get to your charging station.

And what if the batteries only hold, say a 60% charge after a year or two. You might increasingly find yourself out of range to get back home. Even AAA will only pay for a couple tows per year.