YAP (Yet Another Poll)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by voodoo_invest, Dec 17, 2001.

1. This site is great, but there is one thing that is still annoying, at least for me.

voodoo

2. 2-B

2-B

I voted #2, as I'm still not sure how those updated icons suppose to work. I've even tried to refresh to see if they disappear after I read a post and they still don't go away. However, it seems they will go away after a certain time period for no reason what so ever.

2-B

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I've said this before but I'll say it here once more. We already know that the way your movements are tracked is not the greatest in the world. However, there are limitations involved here, both with the nature of web browsing and with hardware/software expense. Being able to accurately track what forums/threads/and posts have been read/not read by every single user is not easy at all. I mean, think about how many sites you visit that track what pages you've been to, what articles you've read, and what new content has been added since your last visit. I think it's safe to say that 99% of all sites out there don't even bother (not even the biggest sites on the web ) primarily because of the complexity and costs involved.

If you come across a site that does a good job tracking your movements and accurately indicating what you've read and not read, I'll be more than happy to take a look at it so we can get a feel for what they are doing and more importantly, how they are doing it.

4. tuna

tuna

Hi Baron thanks for a great site....I'm not all that worried about this issue ,more services mean higher costs, higher costs eventually lead to becoming pay site.......The forum below has a system along the lines of what is being asked for.
    http://www.stockcentral.com.au/forum/

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The software that site uses is a program we used on this site about three years ago. It tracks read/unread threads in a similar manner to the way it's done here now. We gave up on it because of many reasons, but the biggest one was because it has a terrible search mechanism.

6. Baron - for me - this isn't even an issue. I just click on the link you previously provided (hopefully to be integrated into EliteTrader home page) and catch up on the latest discussion. It provides me with an excellent sense of where the current thread activity is. It's simple and it works. :)

Heck - I know which links I've recently viewed and it's just a mouse click away to check the recent activity. As for the threads I haven't viewed yet - I know that too.

I truly don't see the reason for you to expend an inordinate amount of effort on this - especially if it is cost prohibitive. Is this a feature that folks have been screaming for ? Seriously, your website is excellent but please don't go the way of RagingBull and make a lot unneeded changes which many folks abhor. In other words, don't underestimate simplicity.

http://www.elitetrader.com/index2.php