Yahoo's other bidders

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Comptalk, Feb 3, 2008.

1. I agree....but you guys left out the obvious. AAPL + GOOG + YHOO + RHT would be a MSFT killer. Red Hat Inc. (RHT) is less than 4 billion and I wouldn't be surprised to see GOOG or AAPL snap them up. Why not?

#11     Feb 4, 2008
  2. naked1

naked1

all this information but no money being made, PM me, I want to charge you 15 k for handing you what would undoubtedly take you 10 years to get

trading plan that works :cool:

#12     Feb 4, 2008
  3. What Yahoo needs to do is get rid of Yang. He does not know what he's doing. He bought this Right Media crap, which is costing Yahoo money, not necessarily making them anything. Yahoo can outsource the ad sales to Google, saving them a good amount of dough. Try to merge with eBay. Same culture, and both could save money. Have P.E. acquire them through an LBO. Try to make a deal with AT&T, Vodafone, or another company. Merge with AOL or be acquired by News Corp.

Google is hinting on a white knight to save their fallen adversary. Possibly this is where Apple comes in and offers to buy them. With Google on the BOD, then they would still have some control over them, albeit indirectly. However, Apple does not have the money to compete with Microsoft, if Ballmer wants to play hardball. Not many do. Since Berkshire Hathaway does not believe in the Internet, nor will go against is friend, Bill Gates, that is also out of the question.

I do think Microsoft acquiring Yahoo would be bad for the Internet as well as Microsoft in general. If Yang steps down and the incompetent board places a real CEO in place, that would help sway the major share holders. They can also enact the poison pill, but knowing Microsoft, they'd still take on Yahoo. Especially when the shareholder meeting is not far away.

For such a small company (in terms of employees), they really need to cut more costs. They should be able to get by well without all of the US offices and staff. They should cut staff by half and close non-essential or non-producing offices. Keep NYC, Chicago, & Sunnyvale, get rid of the rest. No need for them. Move Right Media and Blue Lithium, the two dumbest purchases in the last year into Yahoo (the rent and offices for both are crazy). In terms of data centers, they should either make a play for Limelight, or make a deal with eBay, as eBay has one of the world's largest data centers.

There are many plausible options open to Yahoo. But they need to be creative. They have billions of expenses that they do not need. It might take a hit on Yang's ego, but they would be able to cut costs and stay somewhat independent.

They also need to STOP MAKING STUPID PURCHASES!!!!

#13     Feb 4, 2008
  4. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

Right Media was a good buy.

#14     Feb 4, 2008
  5. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Let's not forget the dumbest purchase in corporate America's history - broadcast.com

Didn't YHOO spend something like 20 billion for that hunk of crap? What are they doing with that purchase now?

#15     Feb 4, 2008
  6. Looks like it was 6 billion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban But isn't Yahoo's home page based on broadcast.com with all the news and stuff? If so then it seems to me that Yahoo got its moneys worth.

#16     Feb 4, 2008
  7. Goldman Sachs rallied nicely on the news of Microsoft's Yahoo takeover proposal - a new series of M&A's will be bullish for the investment banks....

#17     Feb 4, 2008
  8. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

agree, that was dumb. wasted $$.

but right media, blue lithium, and zimbra are all accretive.

#18     Feb 4, 2008
  9. Your nuts. It is costing them a fortune to keep that turd bucket in operation. I would assume Microsoft will scrap or throw many of the Yahoo pet projects if the acquisition is approved.

Surprisingly, Bill Gates has not said anything on the deal. Anyone know what Gates' feels on this? Taking on all of this debt for a lost company? The war chest would effectively be gone. Without all of that loot, it is going to be hard to continue to be the Microsoft of yesteryear.

#19     Feb 5, 2008
  10. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

not what i heard. Right Media is working out as a nice way for yhoo to sell untargeted unsold remament ad inventory in bulk.

show me something substantial that says RM is junk.

thanks in advance.

#20     Feb 6, 2008