Yahoo Historical Data - Did they change the URL recently?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Rationalize, May 16, 2017.

1. Hi, I've been using Yahoo Finance for 9 years for their adjusted price historical data and it's worked flawlessly. Reading this thread, it is appearing the run is over. I manipulate this data in excel, and am not an experienced computer programmer. Now I need to find an alternative. A few other message board threads have referenced "Marketxls". Has anyone had experience with that? Are there any other alternatives to get dividend and split adjusted historical data for us stocks and mutual funds? Thanks!!

#41     May 18, 2017
  2. just21

just21

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    #42     May 18, 2017
    bellman likes this.
  3. d08

d08

That's not a lot of bandwidth. An average Yahoo Finance website seems to be over 3-4 Mb, so unless you downloaded the whole history of the symbols, it's just 100 Mb, if that. I've done all regulated US stocks daily, so that's a little less than 5000 symbols with 2 years of data - and that comes to just 180Mb.

#43     May 18, 2017
    bellman likes this.
  4. for R quantmod users, I have not verified any data integrity issues yet (as mentioned by others), but joshuaulrich has posted a working solution and how to upload at github .
    Date range worked fine (e.g. SPY back to 1993). Visually looks fine.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    #44     May 18, 2017
  5. carrer

carrer

I wanted to use other data providers but unfortunately only Yahoo and Google offer the data for the stock market that I am trading. I tried moving to Google but they detected me as a robot after a few continuous queries (I scan for about a thousand stocks at a time). It looks like now I have to scrape instead.

#45     May 18, 2017
    sysdevel99 likes this.
  6. Yea - this hit me too. I usually download about 5-6k stocks from Yahoo and have been doing this for over 9 years - guess I'll have to find a new way of doing this. Sucks cause the whole thing worked well including dividend adjustments :(

#46     May 18, 2017
    gkishot and carrer like this.
  7. ET180

ET180

Not many broker offer an API in multiple languages without additional charges. That's one advantage of IB.

There used to be a project called OpenTick with the goal of distributing historical stock data for free. However, it ended before I started following stocks.

#47     May 19, 2017
  8. just21

just21

https://www.quandl.com/data/WIKI-Wiki-EOD-Stock-Prices is free and has an api.

#48     May 19, 2017
    bellman likes this.
  9. #49     May 19, 2017
  10. just21

just21

You can get data from the cme on quandl but they are the individual contracts not back adjusted futures for nasdaq 100 and sp500 futures.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    #50     May 19, 2017