XP vs. XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by research12, Mar 9, 2008.

1. TGM

TGM

What do you mean by free copy of xp pro? What is a torrent?

I don't mean to ask stupid questions. I am just tech stupid! lol

I have machines running xp pro and I have a new laptop (Dell Vostro) for websurfing etc with xp home. I dont see much difference ---but I am tech fool.

#11     Mar 9, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

The differences are likely not going to be seen by everyone. Pro has things like, more security, more networking options, access via Remote Desktop, and some others. And because of these features, "Pro" is considered by MSFT as an "enterprise" class OS, while "Home" is considered "consumer". The enterprise version will get an additional 5 years of "extended support".

#12     Mar 9, 2008
  3. The MSFT website says that XP Pro has "Scalable processor support – up to two-way multi-processor support." Does this mean a system with a "dual-core" or a quad-pentium won't be able to run as fast if I use XP Home?

#13     Mar 9, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

I doubt this is correct. Dell offers Vostros with both Home and Pro as an option on C2Ds.

#14     Mar 9, 2008
  5. inet

inet

Dual processors.

#15     Mar 9, 2008
  6. Oh.

#16     Mar 9, 2008
  7. Dual/Quad core is fine.
    Dual/Quad processors is not.

So no need to worry :)

#17     Mar 10, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

According to Computer World article, March 21, 2008, the "Extended Support" period which XP Pro will have has been extended to XP Home as well. Therefore, the major benefit to having Pro over Home has been eliminated.

"... Microsoft's internal problems with getting Vista out the door finally forced the company to extend the mainstream period for XP out to April 2009, and to make some other accommodations, like eliminating the distinction between business and consumer versions, so that XP Home will have an extended support phase just like XP Pro."...

#18     Mar 25, 2008
  9. What about brokers trade execution platforms that saids their programs will only work on XP Pro???

Thus, if there is no difference between XP and XP Pro...

Why are some brokers saying that???

Mark

#19     Mar 25, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

There are a few differences... mostly in security, networking capability(?), and the benefit of Remote Desktop function.

Just because broker "says" Pro is required, doesn't mean it actually is. It could be that the broker just didn't want to deal with the earlier termination of Support for Home or didn't want to deal with the question, "What about Home"? So, they just said "Pro required" for simplicity on their end...

One could always try it with Home and see if there is a problem, or just go with Pro to be safe.

#20     Mar 25, 2008