XP... Slowww Boot... Help, please

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gnome, Jun 5, 2003.

1. gnome

gnome

Interesting. I've had Norton for 5 years and this is my first such problem. Maybe I've just been fortunate. (Also, the same updated did not impact my Win2000 computer, only the XP.)

#11     Jun 7, 2003
  2. Unfortunately I wanted to do this and the memory point to go back to was only a couple of days; I needed to go back a few weeks but couldn't. :confused:

#12     Jun 9, 2003
  3. tonyuk

tonyuk

WINDOWS UPDATE USERS and prudent sys admins might have installed the latest Windows patch without a thought.
    That might not have been such a good idea.
    The patch is meant to fix a hole in Windows Messaging but can end up causing a severe performance degradation.
    Read here to sort it :- http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9034

#13     Jun 9, 2003
  4. #14     Jun 9, 2003
  5. I just started up a brand new Dell Dimension 8300 and it came with the typical 90 day McAfee Anti-Virus and Security Package Trial.

Everything was fine, until I decided to ENABLE the McAfee Firewall. From that point on, I wound-up "freezing" my computer while on MS Internet Explorer, and "Stop Error Messages" would come up.

I then decided to disable the Firewall and also "reset" my Registry back 2 days . . . and everything appears to be fine.

I then tried using Sygate 5.0 Firewall ( free version ) and it did not allow me to "permission" REALTICK Charting.

Tell me, does anyone have a Firewall that works with Windows XP Pro and allows "permissioning" to data-providers like REALTICK?

#15     Jul 13, 2003
  6. try ZoneAlarm, it's worked well for me.

SP

#16     Jul 13, 2003
  7. Do you disable your Norton antivirus when
    trading, does it speed up you PC little bit?

#17     Jul 13, 2003
  8. tango29

tango29

I admit I just update and forget, I'm a computer fool. I have Win 2000 and since the last patch I have noticed a real slow boot up, and didn't make the connection. Where do I go to see a list of patches i have installed?
    Thank you

#18     Jul 13, 2003
  9. gnome

gnome

1. Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs... The update in question was #811493... it has been included in SP4, and does NOT appear to slow down the system.
    2. Do you have a "system" analyzer like Norton Utilities? If so, run it. It may find a gremlin. (If you don't have Norton, I'd recommend you get it. I've run Norton for 5 years and would not run without it or its equivalent... some ETers knock Norton, but I've found it to be a life saver!)

#19     Jul 13, 2003
  10. go start, windows update. view installation history.

#20     Jul 13, 2003