XP Slow to Close Down

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by StreamlineTrade, Jan 6, 2006.

1. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

Hi,

I have noticed over these last few weeks that my PC is becoming very slow to shut down - like about 4-5 mins.

Any idea why this may be? There isn't much on there.

I am running XP home edition, All apps are closed when I click on Turn Off. It is also very slow if I try to restart the machine. I regularly scan for viruses, and keep the definitions up to date.

Hardware - Dell with a P4.

Thank you.

ST

2. I'm sure others here will have better ideas, but try running defrag.

Programs/Accessories/SystemTools/Disk Defragmenter

3. Your system may be waiting for one or more programs to shut down prior to killing explorer during the process. I would turn on your Task Manager and look at the processes sorted by CPU usage from high to low. I would then initiate a shutdown from there and look at what processes at the top of the list are taking a while. This will start you in the right direction in addition to running Search & Destroy, Adaware, etc.

4. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Are you running any Norton Anti-Virus or Norton Internet security programs?

If so, this is most likely causing your computer to slow down on shutdown.

5. tech support's easist solution:

reformat the hard drive

6. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

Skeptical - Yes I am running Norton. The thing is, I have always done so, but this issue has only started to occur over the last few weeks. (My machine is about 6 months old.)

FuturesTrader71 - Thanks for the advise. I will do this. I did run SpywareDoctor a few days ago to see if that could be an issue. It is only a free copy, so will not remove what it finds - I can usually do this manually as it usually only finds cookies. However this time it found some stuff in the registry. It is a Trojan that apparently hijacks the home page, although my home page on start up seems fine. I am surprised Norton never got this one. May be this is the issue?

How do I delete stuff from the registry?

7. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Streamlinetrader,

I am also running Norton and I just recently am having the same problems as you. Look in your TaskManager to see if you have a program called "ccApp" running. If you do then I can pretty much guarantee you that this is causing the slow shutdown.

When I shutdown my computer I have to manually 'End Process' of the ccApp program.

Check out this link:

http://symantec.atgnow.com/consumer...computer+restart+or+shutdown&resultType=5000#

Hope this helps

8. 168

you need to do the spyware and adware remove ,and stop visit the xxx site not even the playboy site .

9. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

LOL - I think you got me red handed there! I thought it could have been that.

Skeptical - thanks very much. I think I have seen this ccApp process.

Looks like I need to stop being a piker and spend all of $30 on the software. I hoped Norton would have done this for me. I will take a look at that link. I hoped I could access the registry manually.

#10     Jan 10, 2006