XP Service Pack 3?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by alanack, Jun 13, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

If you're running on an AMD computer, suggest you contact HP Support before installing SP3. Last I checked, they are still recommending NOT installing SP3, told me to "wait for the official fix"... still haven't heard of one.

My notebook is still running on SP2.

#11     Jul 31, 2008
  2. What is the latest opinions on SP3 for a quad core CPU?

#12     Oct 29, 2008
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

installed SP3, got some process eating 50% of CPU all the time. uninstall using MS intruction but still got the same problem. I ended up reinstalling XP SP2 from sratch.

#13     Oct 29, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Just a thought...

A few months ago I did a fresh install on this Dell machine. When I installed my trading app, the CPU immediately went to 50% and stayed there. SP3 had already been installed.

Backtracking, I'd found the Dell video card driver to be the culprit. I uninstalled it and installed the driver from the Nvidia website...problem solved.

#14     Oct 29, 2008
  5. Service Pack 3

New features
    Turns black hole router detection on by default [49]
    Network Access Protection client
    Windows Imaging Component [50]
    Credentials Security Service Provider [51]
    Descriptive Security options in Group Policy/Local Security Policy user interface
    An updated version of the Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module that is FIPS 140-2 certified [49]
    Installing without requiring a product key during setup for retail and OEM versions

Does SP3 provide better multicore CPU performance?

http://windowssecrets.com/2008/09/11/02-Dont-let-XP-Service-Pack-3-hose-your-system

#15     Oct 30, 2008
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

MS even provides instruction "How to remove SP3 from your Automatic Updates " what does that tell you?

#16     Oct 30, 2008
  7. Any Anvil + Esig. users update to service pack 3 (and have or not have issues) ?

XP Pro.
    2GB.
    Intel

#17     Oct 30, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Suggestion...

Use Acronis and make an image before installing SP3. If it creates a problem, just restore your system to the pre-SP3 with the image.

I've installed SP3 on about a dozen machines without issue, however there's a known issue with AMD CPUs from HP... which I've not heard is resolved as of yet.

#18     Oct 30, 2008
  9. I was told not to use on any amd based unit, is that correct?

#19     Oct 30, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome