XP Pro or Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Wallace, Nov 14, 2012.

1. JamesL

JamesL

me: XP64 over W7 for trading.

As for security, put your machines (network) behind a separately running Linux firewall.

#41     Nov 14, 2012
  2. chisel

chisel

Thanks for your opinion. I have plenty of RAM and I prefer to build my own rigs even though it's probably not the most cost-effective way. My thinking was to spend $80 on W7 and add a SSD (which I could use on a new build if necessary). For my multi-monitor setup, I don't really want to spend $$ on a new mobo with 4 PCIe slots + cpu + case + psu etc. For what I do, I don't think I need that much cpu horsepower, but I would like boot and program opening times to be much faster. I'll take your advice if my experiment fails.

#42     Nov 14, 2012
  3. You may have an easy answer - what's the VMware that you are running? Can you even install W8 on whatever flavor of VMware you are running?

I'd still say go with 8 over 7 hands down.

Just for reference I have VMware's ESXi 5.0 (expensive/paid - enterprise plus) on many host machines and 5.0 needs to be heavily patched or upgraded to 5.1 or else W8 and Server 2012 don't run. You may need to upgrade whatever VMware you have to work with W8 so you may be limited to 7 regardless.

Fixed :D

#43     Nov 14, 2012
  4. d08

d08

I was referring to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw due to not having used it myself.

#44     Nov 14, 2012
  5. Hey no problem please report back what you find. I have never tried it but I did try Win 7 on my XP puter and it was dog slow. You should see my Win 8 rig it uses 12-14% RAM just idle and that's with 12 gigs of RAM and a fresh reformat. Win 8 is a joke as it stands.

#45     Nov 14, 2012
  6. chisel

chisel

My laptop with Win7 x64 uses 1.65 out of 4 total gb of RAM at idle. WTF. I'll have 6 gb on my desktop so that should be enough for what I do. Another XP rig with SierraChart and IB running uses less than 1 gb. I tweak my computer according to this guy. Maybe that would help?
    http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-8-service-configurations/

#46     Nov 14, 2012
  7. Oh didn't realize you were running laptop. The avg latop HD runs at 5400 RPM so going to SSD is going to be a big improvement. My buddy that has many rigs for trading is hard core techie has blown up every SSD he has used except for Intel but I suspect that because he overclocks to the max. But he has never blown up an Intel SSD he got from NewEgg. He's on vacation otherwise I would ask him what model number.

I need to look over the website but a quick glance seems pretty solid info. It's like most things trial and error and process of elimination.

#47     Nov 14, 2012
  8. Vmware Fusion for Mac. Apparently works with Win 7/8. I'm happy with XP but the VM keeps breaking the OEM windows licensing whenever I change something, so I'm shopping for a full retail OS pkg.

#48     Nov 14, 2012
  9. chisel

chisel

My laptop is just for when I travel. My main desktop with multi-monitors is the one I was talking about upgrading to W7 x64 with a SSD from XP x86 with a spinner, but you've about talked me into building a new rig! :D The SSDs I am considering are the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4. I have an AMD cpu and have read the that Intel SSDs run slower because the AMD cpu conflicts with the Intel controller...or something like that. No overclocking here...stability and reliability are paramount.

#49     Nov 14, 2012
  10. Mr_You

Mr_You

As already suggested Windows 8 Pro is the way to go.

If for some odd reason you are set on Windows 7, then Windows 8 Pro provides a license for Windows 7 where as any non-Pro Windows license does not.

Windows XP will no longer be supported (ie. no OS updates) after 2014. And good riddance!

If you are upgrading there is no reason NOT to move to Windows 8.

I've been running Windows 7 on a 1Ghz laptop with 2GB of RAM and its plenty fast and stable. If yours is not then something is wrong. The general consensus is that Windows 8 is noticeably faster/lighter than Windows 7 and both 7/8 are more stable and secure than XP.

#50     Nov 14, 2012