XP Pro Desktop remote assistance question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanack, Feb 17, 2008.

1. alanack

alanack

I had a problem getting quotes from my broker last week, and their tech support was able to access my pc remotely while troubleshooting. I just went in to disable remote assistance and remote desktop, but the boxes to allow these two functions were already unchecked. How is this possible? I definitely want these functions disabled. Thanks.

Alan

2. gnome

gnome

There is also "virtual network" which can be used to access your machine, but you have to give permission and the key for a specific session. (Key is random and changes for each session.)

3. alanack

alanack

Thanks, gnome. So I guess security with these two boxes unchecked is not an issue. That's good to know.

Alan

4. A question about the topic: assume you want to control your main PC while your are not in front of it using a Qtek 9000 (Windows Mobile 5) tru a wi-fi connection when you are around the home or elsewhere -- which is a good software in WM5 to be used to perform such a remote control of your trading platform (or eventually part of the screen such as the DOM)?

5. daybyday

daybyday

6. gnome

gnome

There are some free ones. I've used Crossloop and Zolved... also, UltraVNC. (My cousin is helpless on computers, but he DOES love his NASCAR. And yes, I was adopted.)