XP of Win 2000 which is best?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by xianokie, Aug 16, 2002.

1. BCE

BCE

#41     Nov 10, 2002
  2. BCE

BCE

Thanks for the link to the tweaks nitro. Looks very good. Exactly what I'm trying to do.
    Here's another good link to an article on optimizing XP and it also has some good links.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,5155,00.asp?kc=ETTH10209HHT4D0000518
    I'm having some problems with RealTick 7.6 in regards to bandwidth. Unfortunately I have a slow dialup connection where I'm at and I'm more or less stuck here for now and can't upgrade to cable or dsl so I'm doing all I can to maximize system resources to see if that helps. I have 384 megs of ram and a 500 mhz PIII. Thought about upgrading my main board and processor. I'm also running eSignal and sometimes have a few mIRC trading rooms open. I just changed brokers and am using RealTick now. When I had an account with CyberTrader it was okay - everything worked. Any suggestions in that regard? :)

#42     Nov 10, 2002
  3. nitro

Thanks for the XP url, talk about speeding up my system.

#43     Nov 10, 2002
  4. nitro

nitro

Kewl Col.

nitro :)

#44     Nov 11, 2002
  5. Bootsie

Bootsie

Ok, So how do I get rid of Win98 and upgrade to Win2000pro.

...Step by step... te he

:D

Thanks

#45     Jan 3, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

Make sure the hardware is compatible FIRST.

nitro

#46     Jan 3, 2003
  7. I have worked with all OS's including Linux RH, FreeBSD etc... Although Linux is set aside for this discussion, Win2000 is really the most stable MS OS out there. XP keeps bugging me, it crashes way more than 2K for some unknown reason and most apps don't work as well. 2K is really the best MS product out there.
    EOD.

#47     Jan 3, 2003
  8. graeco

graeco Guest

When buying 2000pro from a private seller what are the pitfalls?If it is already registered with m/s it wont work?If say, it came with a computer from,say,Dell and is still sealed will it work in my computer.If the 2000pro is "good" can I use it in more than one puter?

#48     Jan 4, 2003
  9. BCE

BCE

Windows 2000 Pro can be installed on more than one computer but technically isn't supposed to be. It's Windows XP that can only be used on one computer (although I hear there are ways to get around this). There's a function which you have 30 days to active once the software is installed called WPA (Windows Product Activation) that sends info back to Microsoft telling them about the hardware on your computer.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/overviews/activation.asp
    You can buy both types of software cheaply on eBay. I bought Windows XP Pro for 50% off retail.

#49     Jan 4, 2003
  10. graeco

graeco Guest

I have an "old" puter with W98SE and a new puter with XP.I am not happy with either but the old puter is still my favorite and I wonder if the best situation would be to have 2000pro in both.The main purpose of both puters is online trading and I dont have a load of other "stuff" in them.The old puter only has 6Gig HD so there is no way bloated XP pig would fit and leave room for anything else.
    Anyone want to comment on how difficult it would be for a novice to change windows?Is there a way to wipe the entire HD?Then put the Dell CD in and load it?Then put the windows CD in and load it?

#50     Jan 4, 2003