XP of Win 2000 which is best?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by xianokie, Aug 16, 2002.

1. 2000 is messing with my head. I used to reinstall win98 about once every two weeks and then reinstall all the software. I spent countless hours doing this. I havent had any problems since installing 2000 and now I have a lot of spare time on my hands with nothing to do. I'm looking for a new hobby.

#11     Aug 17, 2002
  2. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

Go buy a Mac. You can dink around with that thing all day long. It might be fun. Or you might hate your life.

What ever.

#12     Aug 17, 2002
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

still doing this from time to time, the most recent reinstall was last week, my others 3 pcs are all XP but this one is win98. why? because with win98 I know where thing are, it is hard to mess around with XP since they re-organize everything. I had a bad experience upgrading to win2K and haven't get over the phobia.

#13     Aug 17, 2002
  4. Janitor

Janitor

i know very little about computers:

Is Windows 2000 the same as ME? Because I've heard ME sucks. Also, it seems you can get computers preloaded with XP or 98 or ME, but I never see "Windows 2000" as an option for your OS when you buy a new computer.

Btw I use Win 98 and have had to reinstall a few times. Ugh.

#14     Aug 18, 2002
  5. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

NO!!!!!!! Windows 2000 is nothing like ME. ME is just a piece of crap that Microsoft brought out to hold people off while they were making Windows XP. ME is crap.

Most new computers will come with XP because it is the newest software. I would just get rid XP and load up 2000. It is still the best OS Microsoft has ever made. You will never have to reinstall Windows 2000.

#15     Aug 18, 2002
  6. Magna

Magna Administrator

I have Win2000 and XP setup on a dual-boot system so I can play with both. They are very solid as they should be since they're both based on the 32-bit NT kernel. Each has minor advantages and disadvantages. I spend most of my time and do all my trading on Win2000 because I've had it installed for over a year and it's closer in look and feel to NT which I ran for 4 years. XP is a bit more graphical in look and feel and you may like that or not. I would have no qualms going to XP if there was a compelling reason to, which at the present time (and for the foreseeable future) there is not.

Be aware that XP can only be installed on one machine with Microsoft's new licensing and registration process. And I don't mean they trust you to only install it on one machine, it's strictly enforced and installing on a second machine will not work. Something to consider. And by the way, Win2000 "Pro" doesn't mean anything since there is no Win2000 "Home" edition. XP comes both ways but that has to do with the upgrade requirements, not the kernel which is the same. In short, it's a win-win situation whether you choose Win2000 or XP, as they both beat the pants off the old 16-bit kernels of Win95, Win98, and WinMe.

#16     Aug 18, 2002
  7. I use Windows 2000 Pro and XP non-Pro on my home PCs (networked). I have problems with neither but I find Windows 2000 Pro less "nanny-like" i.e. it does not treat the user like an imbecile and allows you more direct acces to the networking features of the program. XP Home edition gives you patronizing warnings as you try to access these areas. Both are stable though which is key.

#17     Aug 18, 2002
  8. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

Ya, I don't about this. Let me say this, my brother is a total computer geek. He and his computer geek friends can do anything they want with computers. He was able to get Windows XP Pro from one of his friends. Then he burned a copy of it and found some Product Keys online. (He is able to do this with any software, I don't how) Since then he has installed this burnt copy of Windows XP on about 9 different computers. (Don't tell Bill Gates!)

The way I look at both XP and 2000 are very good OS. I like 2000 more because it is easier for me to use. My brother and his friends swear by 2000. Don't even get them in a conversation about XP unless you want to here them complain about how much it sucks for the next hour. But they are computer geeks and hardcore gamers. I am sure that for the normal computer user XP and 2000 are both almost the same. They each just have a different look and feel. But after hearing my brother complain I'm not switching to XP any time soon.

#18     Aug 18, 2002
  9. alain

alain

I use Windows XP professional for my tradestation. 24h usage 6 days a week. It's very stable.. never had any problems with the operating system itself.
    It's important that all the hardware is xp compatible..

#19     Aug 18, 2002
  10. gnome

gnome

If you upgraded from W98 to Win2000, that was a bad idea. You need to install from scratch... reformat the hard drive and a fresh install of Win2000. If you note in these posts, almost everybody recommends Win2000 and nobody warns of their bad experience. Therefore, it is likely something that went wrong with yours and not the fault of Win2000.

#20     Aug 18, 2002