XP Networking experts: help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richtrader, Feb 3, 2004.

1. I have a new laptop with built in 802.11g wireless. I also purchased a verizon airprime card which serves as an EVDO "dialup" internet connection (for backup).

I can use the 802 wireless to connect to my local network (which has my shared drives, SQL Server, etc) and it works great. The problem is when I use the verizon card to connect to the internet, the internet works fine, but I lose my local network. When I disconnect, it comes back again. I want to be able to be connected to the verizon network and still be able to access mapped drives and the SQL Server.

I called Verizon and they had no answers for me.

Any thoughts? I am google-ing away on it, but it's hard to find the right keywords to type in.

Thanks very much.

2. LouieR

LouieR

Richtrader

Though I am not familiar with your problem may I suggest that you contact the manufacturer of your Laptop and find out if your motherboard will support the simultaneous operation of your 802.11g card along with your Verizon card.

Good Luck

Louie

3. simstim

simstim

could you send an output of your "ipconfig /all" when you try to connect with both at the same time?

you should be able to do this without a problem. also, a "route print" would help as well.

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

my low tech sol, go to microcenter grab a a handful of cards try it one by one until you find the one that work.

5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

If the two networks were on the same subnet it might work..... Otherwise what you need is a router - not a soluton here.

You could use ipconfig /all when connected to verizon and see which IP/subnet you are assigned and use a similar configuration on your local network.