XP Life Extends to 4/30/10... T3400 Still The Bomb!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnome, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gnome

gnome

2. inet

inet

Drop? How much percent?

3. gnome

gnome

From $649 for base unit to $595... free shipping.

4. gnome

gnome

Dell has new T3500. Features DDR3 RAM, x58 mobo (similar features to x38.. but accommodates faster RAM and CPU) and Xeon CPU.

As most of trading apps run almost exclusively from RAM (that is, the CPU is used only at boot, shutdown, and loading/exiting apps), likely not worth the extra expense.

5. thirst

thirst

I just purchased a T3400 with

T3400 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33GHz/1333MHz/4MB L2) 525W

Genuine Windows XP Pro with Vista Business License

2 GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)

256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX570, Dual Monitor DVI Capable

Should I upgrade the Ram? Any good sources?
    What LCD would you guys recommend? I was thinking of 2 22" or 2 24"

Thanks!

6. I actually like Vista. Why does this OS have such a bad rap? I got it this year and used it for the first time, and I thought it was a reasonable, cleaner version of XP. I haven't assessed the kernel, but I really like it.

7. I run these in my office and love the 2 express video slots and value for the $$$$$. Load up the RAM and you got a perfect trade computer.

I have outfitted 6 offices over the past 7 years and this set up with 6 24 inch monitors is sick. Typical complete workstation will run 3K after 2 add on video cards, and extra ram and 6 monitors.

8. thirst

thirst

Does it matter if I get ECC ram or Non-ECC ram?

Any good sources to buy ram?

It comes with, Should i upgrade 2 more with 2x1gb sticks?

9. chartie

chartie

DonÕt mix ECC and non-ECC within a system, get ECC.

I always buy at Crucial.com. There you could be sure exactly what/which modules work with (and best) your system.

Just ordered this 2GB kit for my T3400.

10. the T3400 is not a bad price but you can still build faster for cheaper. more RAM, faster proc, bigger HD and better video.

if you're buying for a group of clients then obviously you don't want to build. but if you are looking for the best price/performance for yourself..

has the 3400 been tested for performance?

#10     Apr 28, 2009