XP, IB and memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arzoo, Oct 25, 2003.

1. will you see an improvement going from 512 mg of RAM to 1024, or is this overkill, on a new machine running xp and driving a lot of windows with lev II and tws?

#11     Oct 28, 2003
  2. gnome

gnome

I've read "... from 512mb to 1G Ram is about 1% performance increase...". That may vary with applications.

I would suggest you initially install one 512mb stick of ram and check the Task Manager to see how much ram is being used at full load. From that, you can decide whether to add a 2nd 512.

#12     Oct 28, 2003

3. Get good tweaks like DEF's (above) and you will probably not need the additional stick of RAM. But at $80, why debate this for too long, especially if you load alot of apps or browser windows at one time. XP very is efficient at paging hard drive space but additional RAM is always a step above.

:cool:

#13     Oct 28, 2003
  4. dbtrader

I have the same problems as you. When I have multiple
    IB pages, I see everything in the morning getting slow on
    my computer.
    Have you seen any improvement after increasing your
    memmory or what doing what def has suggested.

I don't think it is due to memmory because I have 640MB
    and I never see my commit charge more than 350MB.

#14     Oct 30, 2003
  5. def

def Sponsor

It doesn't hurt at all to try. There is no reason you need to have the draw function of java on for the TWS. If you don't like it, just delete the lines. Takes all of 30 seconds to insert into the command line.

#15     Oct 30, 2003
  6. Got the RAM installed and today ran like a charm - none of the freezes. Otherwise, as correctly pointed out earlier - the performace of the PC is not much faster.

TexTrader - I never caught the memory usage of the task manager bottoming out in the past, always appeared to be okay but the "freezing" drove me crazy.

:p

#16     Oct 30, 2003
  7. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to increase mine to
    1G also.

#17     Oct 30, 2003